How to Save Your Grades by the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Now that it’s November, the full post-midterm workload is most likely falling into our laps as we brace for finals, and some Collegiettes may be panicking over their grades. By the end of October, many people claim that their semester grades are unsalvageable. However, if you use some of the resources UMass has to offer and swallow your pride a bit, your semester may be salvageable- remember that while an A is probably out of reach, that doesn’t mean a C is unattainable. Here are some ways to save your grade!

1. Learning Resource Center

The LRC is located on the 10th floor of the library and open from 1-10pm Sunday-Thursday. Most people don’t know how late they are open, and the tutors are students who have either taken the class or are cognizant of the course material. If you go to their website, on the right are their Tutor and SI schedules depending on majors. Even if you don’t think the center could help you, I urge you to put your ego aside and realize you have nothing to lose by trying out the LRC.  

2) Writing Center

The writing center is also in the library and you can find them on the lower level between Sunday and Friday. Their hours vary depending on the day, but you can find them on their web page. For convenience’s sake, you can also set a writing appointment online. The tutors have bios on the center’s website so you can pick someone with the most knowledge in your topic. The one downside to this center is that it is only for writing, so while they can help you with your papers from brainstorming to your final draft, for non-writing homework you should use the LRC

3) Reach Out To Classmates

This may feel tough because you have to face strangers and admit that you don’t feel up to speed in the class. But often, a good way to form camaraderie with classmates is to ask them for help, and maybe to email them. If they decide you’re relying too heavily on them to teach you, they can simply ignore your emails. This method also gives you an excuse to ask a hot guy (or girl, whatever floats your boat) in your class for homework help, so you can have your very own Aaron Samuels.

4) Reach Out to Teaching Assistants

Teaching Assistants love having students reach out to them because it shows that the student cares about their work. Very few TA’s are going to shame you for not giving 100% the entire semester, but if you run into one who does let them know that your only expectation is to pass. You just decided that you weren’t going to let the semester run you over without a fight. Trust me, putting in this effort now gives you less anxiety during finals! TA’s have office hours and also often offer to make extra appointments, because TAs want you to SUCCEED! If your TA is unwilling to help you or they feel you need more time and resources than they can provide on their own, you can seek help elsewhere. 

5) Reach Out to Your Professor

Professors are often pleased that a student didn’t wait until finals week to ask for help. Before setting up an appointment with your professor, try to look at the syllabus and find out where you started struggling. It is much easier to go in and say “Around Week 6 when we started discussing socialism in political life I started to have trouble keeping up with/ comprehending the readings” than to just say that you need help. It makes it much easier for your professor to pinpoint where you need to go back and put the effort in. You should also follow up with the Professor or a TA after you study just to make sure that you synthesized the readings correctly!

6) Find a Friend who Took the Class 

Sometimes you have a friend who has already taken the class you’re struggling with, and they can help you out. If they learned and understood the material before you did, they can walk through it with you so you have a leg up on the subject matter for the rest of the semester. 

7) Khan Academy

Sometimes outside sources help you learn certain class materials in a more comprehensible way, which is always a good thing. External sources such as Khan Academy are LOADED with useful, clear, and concise information on so many fields it is nearly impossible not to find what you need!

Even though you may be disheartened that you didn’t get an A or a B in the class after trying to salvage the grade, A C is often what you need to at least most likely move on in your major. C’s get degrees! No but really; while you shouldn’t live your life attempting a C, sometimes life is going to throw a hard class your way, and sadly by the end of the semester many people decide that their grades are incorrigible. Also understand that you will have to put in the extra time to catch up on the readings and other resources. However, you’ll be happier knowing you didn’t wait until finals to read half of the semester’s readings!

Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

Kat Kent

U Mass Amherst

Fraternal twin from cape cod, MA. Transfer student who took a while to find her major. Enjoys long walks on the beach holla
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst