How Much Sexualization is TOO MUCH?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a kid I played the game Tomb Raider passively, not giving her unrealistic body a second look. I mean, at ten I didn’t even know of the concept of sex, much less sexualization so my passivity was to be expected. Now as a young adult, I know too much to be ignorant of the unhealthy emphasis that the media puts on sexualization. In 2014 the emphasis has escalated to a point that makes any bystander ask, how much sexualization is too much sexualization? At what point do we decide that “the pornification of everything” is harmful for young women (Crocker)?

What do you know about Iggy Azaela? You probably know about her butt because that what is most emphasized and therefore deemed most important about her. The focus of this picture is her butt that’s pushed first and foremost. Yes she does have a great butt, but girls shouldn’t be given the message that her butt stands for who she is as a person. There is nothing wrong with a girl’s individual expression of sexuality. The problem is sexualization in media is too often objectification.

Stars like Miley Cyrus, magazines, and the music industry collectively send girls the message that “sexualizing themselves is the key to empowerment”(Crocker). In our society, this harmful message resonates in young girl’s minds. This attitude has girls “spending significant cognitive energy trying to internalize and then emulate the sexpot standards set by the likes of Miley Cyrus”(Crocker). There’s a fault in following this message that Rashida Jones states: “A friend of my mom said to me when I was very young that you can’t invest solely in your looks. It’s like putting money into a stock that is going down. Invest in your talents. I want variety”(Crocker). Where is this importance of education and power through knowledge for women being emphasized?

Issues like defining the difference between objectification and empowerment are discussed by organizations like “Women in the World” through the Daily Beast. These types of organizations are so crucial but are so underappreciated. It’s important to these conversations to give every girl an educated perspective.

Sources: 1, 23Crocker

Elizabeth Lundin

U Mass Amherst

Liz is just your typical Massachusetts girl who shamelessly loves riding her bike and Netflix. She's one of three as a triplet(two brothers complete the ensemble).Shes working on her major in Psychology at U mass.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst