This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Some of the best date nights aren’t the ones that you have with your significant other, but the ones that you have with some of your best girlfriends! Getting together with your best friends is always a great time. However, sometimes it can be difficult for you to come up with something that all of you can do together – especially when you’re away at school. In order to help in the process, I’ve come up with a list of some of my favorite ideas for a girls night for when you’re away at school.

1. Movie Night

Sometimes keeping it simple can be a good thing. Pick a movie that you and your friends are all looking forward to seeing and make a night out of it. You could either go to the theater to see something new, or you could stay in with some blankets and popcorn and pop in some of your favorite movies.

2. Scavenger Hunt

Separate yourselves into two or three teams, come up with a list of tasks for everyone to complete, and then see which team finishes first! I love this idea because it gives you the chance to be creative and it also gives you the chance to travel off campus.

3. Dancing

There are all sorts of different nightclubs in the Amherst/Northampton area. Whether you choose to go to LIT, Diva’s, or another club of your choice, spending the night dancing with some of your best friends can be a very fun night. Just be sure not to drink too much if you’re over 21. No one wants to have to babysit you on girls night.

4. Pizza & Wings

Who says girls night has to be so elaborate? Sometimes it can be fun to just hang in, snack on some junk food, and spend the night talking and catching up with your best friends. So pick up the phone, order some of your favorites from Antonio’s and Wings Over Amherst and enjoy the night.

5. Spa Day

Sometimes girls night can take place during the day. College girls are almost always stressed out about something, whether it be midterms, papers, or loads of complicated homework. If this sounds like something you can relate to, a spa day could be just what you need! If you’re a UMass girl looking to plan a mini get-away for you and your friends, try checking out places like Elements Hot Tub Spa in Amherst, MA, which offers services such as facials, massages, skin treatments, and more.

6. Group Work

Like I said before, college girls are always stressed out. One of the great things about having your friends around is that you can motivate each other to keep going, and to get your work done. Rather than going out with your girlfriends, try getting together and committing yourselves to spending the day getting stuff done. You can go to the gym together, finish your homework together, and encourage each other to do well. It’s always easier to be productive when you have someone else around to keep you company and to keep you motivated.

7. Makeovers

I’m not talking about the kind of makeovers you and your friends gave each other when you were little. College is the perfect time to experiment with your look and to dare to try new things and take risks. Ever wanted to dye your hair red? Perhaps you’ve been thinking about a pixie cut lately, or maybe you’ve been wanting to change up your wardrobe. Well, who better to help you to experiment with your look than some of your closest friends? Changing up your looks together could be really fun, and would be something that you’d remember doing together for a long time.

Have fun, Collegiettes!

Alyssa Jeanne

U Mass Amherst

Alyssa is a student at UMass Amherst. She is an English major who enjoys reading, writing, listening to music, and hanging out with friends.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst