How to Fight the Freshman 15: A Foodie’s Guide to Eating Healthy While Living on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Entering college brings new challenges, such as figuring out how to balance your social and academic life. The stress and drastic changes that come with college can make it hard for students to focus on staying healthy. The “freshman 15” is a common experience that many incoming college freshmen face (including me!). The good news is, there are ways to avoid falling into unhealthy habits while still satisfying your sweet tooth with those delicious guilty pleasure foods in the dining halls. After all, we are named number one in campus dining!

Here I present to you a fellow foodie’s guide on eating healthy while living on that college budget. Because yes — we still need to save money for other things too, like school books and laundry!

1. Eat fruit daily.

Fruits are essential for the overall health and maintenance of your body. (Also they are delicious and give you tons of energy). I recommend buying a mixed fruit box from Harvest Market or a local grocery store (like Atkins Farm!). Mixed fruit boxes are my favorite because they’re affordable and give you a variety of options. These different fruits contain many of the vitamins you need to get through your busy days. They’re also the perfect snack to eat throughout the day. If you don’t want to purchase fruit, you can always eat them at the dining halls if you have a meal plan (and grab some extras to snack on throughout the day).

2. Take a multivitamin.

Multivitamins are the bomb.com because they contain all the essential vitamins like vitamin A, D, and E. Over time, they keep you healthy by benefiting your immune system, heart, and energy levels. (Also, most of them don’t taste terrible, which is a plus). I recommend Flintstones multivitamin gummies, because we’re all still kids at heart. These gummies taste delicious, so you’ll want to take them every day. You can find multivitamins at places like Target and Amazon. Plus, they’re affordable and usually sell for under $10!

3. Keep track of your budget so you don’t overspend in one week.

Make sure if you buy food outside of the dining halls that you keep track of your spending and not exceeding your budget. I know we can get carried away sometimes, but make sure to always check your bank account or dining dollar balance. I recommend setting a food budget every week. In order to save money, try limiting yourself to two days in which you’ll spend your own money or dining dollars (if you have ’em) on food items.

4. Reward yourself with your favorite dining hall meal.

You should always treat yourself throughout the week. Eating healthy shouldn’t be a chore or prevent you from eating your favorite guilty pleasures. It’s important that you balance eating both healthy and guilty pleasure foods. One thing I like to do is eat healthy foods to start the day and then reward myself with my favorite meal towards dinnertime — this makes me feel motivated to eat healthy throughout the day. But experiment and see what works for you! No matter what, you’ll feel proud for being mindful about what you’re putting in your body. Remember, eating healthy does not mean starving yourself!

5. Drink more water than you already are.

I know you know, but I’m telling you again because it’s true! Water keeps you hydrated, and hydrated = functioning, so aim for at least eight glasses a day. To make sure you’re getting enough, I recommend purchasing a Hydro Flask or some type of insulated water bottle. These keep your water cold throughout the day and help protect the environment from plastic bottle waste. Added bonus: you save money by not buying water bottles every week. I also suggest buying a Brita water filter to keep in your dorm fridge and using the water stations all over campus to refill your water bottle regularly.

6. Eat healthy snacks in between classes.

When we’re overworked and tired (thanks, college), we tend to crave salty and sugary foods to quench our feeling of hunger. By developing a habit of eating healthy snacks before you get to the point of feeling starving, you’ll find yourself reaching for the potato chips — when you don’t even really want them — less. 

7. Exercise regularly.

Maintaining a well-balanced diet and a good exercise regimen does wonders for your physical and mental health. The UMass recreation center is an amazing place that I recommend all UMass students visit at least twice a week. After your workout, you can go to the Courtside Cafe for a snack or a delicious smoothie.

8. Don’t let stress distract you from eating healthy.

Studying is important, but your health comes first. Keep a positive mindset and always plan to have time to sit down and eat a nourishing meal. Try planning out your week so you can have time to complete your assignments and eat at least three meals a day. Eating healthy meals can also help lower your stress and give you the energy to get through a hectic day.

9. Get the most out of your daily meal plan swipes.

The dining hall 3-swipe system can be annoying, but making the most out of it can help combat the freshman 15. When you’re eating in the dining halls, make the most out of all the healthy options offered to you. A side salad, steamed vegetables or grilled chicken are healthy alternatives to common college junk food that make all the difference in the long run. The dining halls’ variety of options can be overwhelming, so it’s important to remember to eat a well-balanced diet.

Images/GIFs: 1, 23, 4567, 8, 9, 10

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst