How to: Do a Fish Tail & Snake Braid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s easy to just throw your hair into a messy bun when you’re running late. On your way to class you glance around and realize you look like every other girl on campus. While the messy bun is a simple, go-to hairstyle I have two easy braids that will help spice up your look in a few easy steps. 

Don’t shy away if you’re not a hair guru. I promise I’ve taught everyone I know these easy braids. They look super complex, but really only take some practice and patience!

Fish Tail 

1) First, start sectioning off your hair into two even parts split down the center of your head. 
2) Take a small, outside section of hair from the right side (furthest away from the left side section,) and pull it over the entire right section and place in under the left section of hair. 

3) Then take a small section of hair from the outside of the left side (equivalent to the first section,) pull it over the entire section and place in under the ride side. 
4) Continue doing this alternating left side to right side until the braid is complete. 
5) Secure the braid with a hair tie. The fishtail braid looks great messy too! Gently tug the two sections of the braid to add more volume and width in the braid. Don’t be afraid to pullstrands out either. This look was seen in several shows during New York Fashion Week.
 *Keep in mind the small section of hair you use the more intricate the braid willlook. The smaller amount of hair you use will also play a role in how long it takes to complete the braid.    

Snake Braid 

1) First take a section of hair that’s about an inch to two inches where your bangs would be. 
2) Braid the small section of hair all the way down. 

3) With the 3 sections of hair separated at the end of the braid, take the section in the middle and pull it to the right. Take other two sections and pull them to the right.  
4) Holding the middle section that is located on the right, pull the two other up towards your head. The hair should glide smoothly all the way to your scalp.  5) Begin to loosen the hair that is gathered by gently pulling it down middle strand.  6) Bobby-pin the braid to the side of your head and throw your hair into a pony tail or leave it down! 

Don’t be discouraged if these braids don’t come out perfectly the first time.
Practice does make perfect. In no time at all you will be able to fishtail and snake braid your hair fast and seamlessly. Good Luck!

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.