woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

How to Decorate Your Graduation Cap: Tips, Tricks & Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It is almost that time.

What time? Time for a major change in your life — to pack up all your college belongings and memories of these past four years. Graduation is approaching. It is time to leave the comfort of a college and face your fears: the real world. But before you face that, you have to walk on the stage and receive your degree! And what do you need to do that? A bomb graduation cap that shows your creativity. Many graduates decorate their cap with their interests, majors, what they’ve done in the past four years, what their future holds, and more. Decorating your graduation cap is your last hoorah and should be fun! Here are some tips and ideas of what and how to decorate your graduation cap.

1. First things first, you have to be sure to actually pick up your graduation cap from your university.

If you want enough time to decorate, pick it up the first day your college or university allows you to so you’ll be able to make it beautiful!

2. Purchase or find your materials. For a general overview, you’ll need:

• Graduation cap

• Glue gun

• Scrapbook paper

• Scrapbook letters/stickers/items

• Flowers, pearls, any other items to glue onto your cap

3. Decide if you want to keep the color of your graduation cap or if you want to change the color.

If you want to change it, you can use scrapbooking paper from Jo-Ann Fabrics, Michaels or even Walmart. Get two sheets of scrapbook paper just in case. If you don’t want to change the color, then skip to Step 6.

4. Cut the sheet to fit your graduation cap and cut a hole for your graduation cap’s tassel.

5. Glue the scrapbook paper onto the cap with a hot glue gun.

6. Start decorating with your cap with all the scrapbook stickers, pearls, gems, and more that you want on it!

*Note: be sure to figure out which side is the front and which is the back of the cap. You can do this by putting it on and seeing where the part that scrunches up to fit on your head, where it “gathers” is the back.

Now, here are some ideas that you can choose for your design…

1. Put a quote on it!

2. Maybe a book or movie quote?

3. Add in some creativity and your interests

Here is one for a psychology major that wanted to be sure to let everyone know they loved psychology!

Here’s another for an English major! Got to love books.

Maybe if you’re an education major you might think about adding something with teaching on it.

4. Be humorous

5. Add some bedazzled and pop outs!

6. Pair up with your BFF

7. Put your monogram or a bow on it.

Make sure to make your cap looks are fly as you are. If you need further instruction be sure to check out some YouTube videos, like this one I found here. I hope these tips helped! Congratulations to all those Collegiettes like myself that are graduating this year… we did it!

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

YouTube video: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYJSKCTrx14]

Kelly Capri

U Mass Amherst

I'm now a senior at UMass Amherst & started Her Campus my freshman year. I had just transferred from Clemson University in South Carolina and it allowed me to find friends immediately. HC also helped open myself up to a passion of mine - journalism and writing. Additionally, Her Campus helped me meet people who inspired me to get more involved on campus - which is why I joined Greek life as well as got a job for student activities and involvement. As sappy as it is, HC has changed my college experience in so many ways. Besides HC, I am a double major in journalism and biology, and work as a tour guide and for Student Activities & Involvement. I am the VP of Alumnae Relations of Sigma Kappa Beta Eta, involvement in a number of other organizations, and I love mozzarella sticks and Nutella (but not together!)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst