How to Ace a Networking Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Hi Collegiettes! For those of us with business majors – we have some big events going on this year in Isenberg. First off, there was the Women of Isenberg Conference, and coming up is the Marketing Majors Networking Night. Dispersed throughout the year as well are multiple networking nights for different majors. So, in between all these career opportunities and events is a great time to brush up on your networking skills and even if you’re not a business major it’s still important to learn! 

So you have an event coming up and you need to prepare. The first thing to do is do a little research. A couple days before the event, you should find out the sponsors of the event, the panelists, and the recruiters that will be there. Go online and get a little information about their company, what they do, and take a couple notes to bring with you. This way, you’ll know who you want to talk to and what to talk to them about.

Now that you’ve done your research and your brain is ready – it’s time to prepare everything else. Most networking events are business casual or business formal, so make sure to look your best. That means appropriate makeup, no wet hair, and professional clothing. It also might help to wear a conversation starter, like a unique necklace, because it can be an easy thing to talk about, whether you receive a compliment or give one. Just remember to be polished and professional! You can certainly dress for the job you want without breaking the bank.

For example, these are some pieces that could be great statement items that recruiters may remember:

This great red blazer from H&M, coming in at only $34.95.

Or, this Target bracelet/watch that costs just under $20.

And you’ll be sure to get a compliment on these printed flats from TJ Maxx as well, for just $34.99.

When you are speaking to recruiters or colleagues at the event, make sure to be genuine. You should listen, be patient, and be passionate about what you’re doing or looking to do. Also, network with purpose, because you’re there to extend your group of colleagues within your career field, not just to chat with people in suits.

Make sure its a conversation; both people should be speaking roughly equal amounts. If you just asked a question, then let the other person ask one of you. If you just described your current job, then ask them what a typical day at their workplace looks like. Make it equal.

At the end of the conversation, it’s okay to ask for a business card, or you may simply say “Can I connect with you on LinkedIn?” and then give a reason. You could possibly say that you want to follow up on their company because you are interested in what they do. You could also just say that you would like a professional network in the field, and having someone to reach out to would be very helpful for an aspiring student in business like yourself.

Be confident! Just remember how much you have accomplished and acknowledge that you have so much more greatness to achieve. Good luck networking, Collegiettes!

Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3

Marketing Major at UMass Amherst in the Commonwealth Honors College and Isenberg School of Management
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst