kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Going to the Gym After the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

After being home all winter break, we’ve definitely packed on some extra pounds with all the holiday parties and Netflix snacking that we’ve done. Some of us can’t wait to get back on that gym grind that we’ve so carefully worked into our every day schedules.

Any gym goer right now knows how crazy crowded the Rec Center is at this time of the year. Instead of being able to tap yourself in, there is someone at the gates checking to see if the picture on your UCard is actually you. This just delays the whole process of getting into the gym since all of us need to form a single-file line and wait for the student employee to deem that we do in fact look like ourselves

After you get through the check-in, finding an empty locker is close to impossible amongst the sea of half-naked people. Right when you spot an unlocked locker, you open it up and a pile of someone else’s clothes come spilling out. 

Going up to the actual gym area is hectic. It’s impossible to find a machine that you want to use, and running on the track is similar to running a lap around the gym in high school. Everyone is going at different paces, making it hard to get in an actual workout or even complete a mile!

Trying to get a decent lift in? Forget about that! The only weights that are left are either three pounds or heavier than fifty pounds. Also all the guys are taking up all of the bench space and good lift machines. 

Why is it so crowded?  If I had to make a guess, I would say that it’s a combination of New Years resolutioners, regular gym goers, and hopeful spring breakers looking to tone up in order to feel confident at the beach. 

Happy workout, Collegiettes!

Image Sources: 1

Gif Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst