A GIF Story: Stages of Saving Money For A Collegiettes Who Likes to Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We’ve all encountered this amazing and seemlingly terrifying experience before: saving money. It creates a multitude of feelings, really weird, almost period cramp related feelings. Yes, it’s that serious. Especially for most of us Collegiettes with online shopping addictions,  and slight attachments to malls or any shopping area for that matter, saving money is a really adult-like accomplishment; you should be proud. But getting there isn’t so easy, is it? We go through several stages of acceptance, good behavior, denial, slip-ups, and ultimate excitement before the date of purchase. Here they are:

The Idea/Goal: “I need to save money for (enter item you’ve been drooling like a baby over)!”

The Paycheck After The Idea: “Let’s go to the mall…”

The Drive Home After The Mall: “Oh… I was supposed to save that right?”

The Paycheck After The Idea and The Accidental Mall Trip: “Straight to the bank, savings account like hello!”

The Phone Call From A Friend: “Dinner?” “Sure, I’ll just order off the kids menu. That won’t hurt.”

After The Next Few Paychecks and a Trip to oh-so-captivating Target: “I’m so close to my goal! Oh, but look at the nail polish on clearance.”

The Last Payday You Need: “You’ve literally taken forever to get here. What am I even saving for again?”

A Trip to the Place of Purchase and Conversation with a Sales Associate: “Yeah, Hi – I’m here to buy that big ‘ol thang! I have the money cash, just in case you cared or anything. AND I want the three-year insurance plan, I don’t need the receipt though, because it won’t leave my hand ever.”

The Feeling of Finally Being Able to Bring It Home: 

It’s simple and we can all do it. It might make you a little uneasy, but it’s always worth it. Happy saving Collegiettes!

Ellanje Ferguson

U Mass Amherst

Ellanje Ferguson is a senior Journalism and Communications double-major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She serves as the current Campus Correspondent-President and was the former Head Photographer and Social Media Director of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She has a large interest in writing, social media and fashion editorial work. She loves to write and give style advice! Aside from this, she enjoys blogging, listening to music, and of course - shopping.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst