Getting a Tattoo 101 For First-Timers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Deciding what, when, and where to get a tattoo can be a daunting task. Luckily, the process isn’t as complicated as it may seem, and as long as you choose a piece of art that you genuinely love or hold personal meaning for, the experience is very likely to be worth it. 

1. Pick a parlor.

Western Mass is home to some amazing tattoo parlors definitely worth sneaking a peek at. Wanderlust Tattoo on North Pleasant Street in Amherst, Lucky’s Tattoo and Piercing on Main Street in Northampton, and Off The Map on Cottage Street in Easthampton are local shops that have outstanding artists to choose from. Also, keep an eye out for events and conventions hosting guest artists that may be coming to the area to ensure you make the right pick!

2. Piece it all together.

It’s a good idea to have reference photos for your artist to look at. Bringing photos of work you appreciate, as well as styles or details you would prefer to be left out can also be helpful to the artist. A good tattoo shouldn’t be rushed, so make sure your heart is all in it to get the design you have picked out. If you’re choosing a design that has been rather trendy lately, make sure you truly love the piece to prevent possible regret in the future. Once you bring your ideas to the artist, they’ll create a piece for you, provide a price estimate, and then you can schedule an appointment if you’re ready!  

3. Prepare for the pain.

While everyone has a different threshold for pain, the physical process of getting tattooed is usually over-hyped. That said, areas such as the ribcage, top of the feet and the inner portion of your upper arm are typically known for being substantially more sensitive than others. For those truly worried about the pain factor, it may be wise to get a smaller tattoo, or one in a less sensitive area to start, and gauge your pain threshold from there. 

4. Understand the process.

The process usually begins by shaving the area and cleaning it, followed by applying the stencil to begin tattooing. Bringing snacks such as granola bars, bananas, Gatorade and water can also be helpful, especially during longer appointments in order to help sustain your body while it’s being worked on. When finished, the artist will wrap the work of art in saran wrap to prevent any debris or bacteria from rubbing into or against the wound for the first night (it can be removed the following morning and washed). You can also buy salves to aid in the healing process and prevent over-drying and cracking, which can potentially ruin the piece. 

5. Pay your respects.

Make sure to thank and tip your artist appropriately, since they have most likely put generous amounts of time towards creating a piece for you to enjoy. 

Images: 1234

Erica is one of the newest members of Her Campus at UMass Amherst. She majors is Integrative Health Studies on the Pre-Med track. Her field of interest is learning about medicine and medical care from around the globe. She has a passion for traveling to see new places, meet new faces, and getting to experience all that encompasses through an appreciation of food, culture and the landscape. You can follow her Instagram and Twitter @ehaley_1077
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst