This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As Collegiettes, we have a lot going on. There’s class, that party, your weekly meetings, that new movie, those shoes, and an exam on Tuesday or Thursday… one of those days, right? Sometimes it’s really hard to keep track of all the things you need to do, along with the things you want to do. I’ve got one word for you: organization. Staying organized is key, it is the only way you’ll stay on top of your game without the headache you forgot to pick up pills for. 

Here are some tips to help you stay organized:

Buy a planner. Preferably one with space for every single day; it could be a pocket sized agenda, a desk sized calendar, or a dry erase board as big as your TV. Whichever you think is best for you.

Get creative! You know yourself best, so add a personal touch. If this means you have to go shopping and buy matching pens, post-its, or paper clips – go for it! Incorporate your favorite colors or prints, and color-coordinate your planner. Each class or task has its own color for a month (or all year), that way you’ll enjoy your new organized life even more. 

Write EVERYTHING down. Homework. Appointments. Exams. Dates. The time your favorite show comes on. If it comes with a time stamp, it’s probably important.

Make smaller reminder lists for particular goals. If you planned on going to the gym once a week, post a big reminder somewhere you see very often – like the mirror or closet door.

Once it’s done, cross it off. Accomplishing a task could be the best part of your day – celebrate that with a nice big check mark, slash, or scribble (in your favorite pen) through that completed task.

P.S.: For those who would much rather have everything in the palm of their hands –  there are plenty of apps that can help you out!

Check out some of these iPhone/Android apps below:

• iStudiezPro
  • Flipboard
  • Clear 
  • inClass

Good luck, Collegiettes!

Ellanje Ferguson

U Mass Amherst

Ellanje Ferguson is a senior Journalism and Communications double-major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She serves as the current Campus Correspondent-President and was the former Head Photographer and Social Media Director of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She has a large interest in writing, social media and fashion editorial work. She loves to write and give style advice! Aside from this, she enjoys blogging, listening to music, and of course - shopping.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst