Four Ways to get Involved on Campus Based on Your Personality Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a freshman, the amount of choices we have to make for ourselves can be totally overwhelming and intimidating. There are hundreds of clubs and activities at UMass, and it is mind-boggling how many fun things there are to do on campus. Before you freak out and avoid the activities fair all together, it can be helpful to narrow down the choices based on your interests so you can navigate the booths of opportunities like a true professional.

Athletic

Join club sports or intramurals! If you are an intense athlete that still loves the sports you played in high school, you should try out for a club team. Because UMass is a Division 1 school, all of the club teams are packed with spectacular athletes that love their sport. If you are less intense about a sport and want to try something you’ve never tried before, grab a group of your new friends and create an intramural team! There are standard sports like soccer and basketball, but there are also goofy intramural sports as well. Why not try broomball, ultimate frisbee, or even quidditch? Break a sweat and make some friends while you’re at it!

Artsy

There are so many clubs for artsy people here at UMass, and there are tons of arts and crafts classes to take. The most broad option would be the Crafting Club/Society! If you love to draw, paint, craft, and create- this club is for you. There are knitting clubs and crocheting lessons too, which is also a great way to get to know people. Get your fingers moving and let your creative spirits flow while meshing ideas with other artists in a fun environment.

Studious

Everyone’s first priority should be their education, and there are plenty of ways to extend that education beyond the classroom. Incoming freshman could join a Residential Academic Program, where students can live with other students that have the same academic interests. For example, you could join a Leadership RAP, an Isenberg School of Management RAP, or a Nursing RAP. There are also lots of academic honor societies, including major-based clubs like Women in Business, IEEE (which is the society for Electrical Engineers), or the Marketing and Real Estate Clubs. Meet people after class with an academic club!

Adventurous

Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or you just love the outdoors, there are plenty of clubs for you! The UMass outing club is an especially popular club that goes on hikes, goes kayaking, and embarks on other outdoor activity trips throughout the year. Also, UMass has a skydiving team and a gun club if you really like getting that heart rate up! Get outdoors, take a chance, and meet new people while walking through the woods, rowing in a boat, shooting at a range, or jumping from a plane.

So go ahead, Collegiettes! Get involved, make new friends, and make a big campus so much smaller!

Marketing Major at UMass Amherst in the Commonwealth Honors College and Isenberg School of Management
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst