Forget the Kardashians — Society Should Idolize These 4 Feminists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The Kardashians have been central figures in the media for a few years now, yet we usually don’t hear about them mention female empowerment. With such an influential status in society, they could do so much good for the feminist cause. Who knows what the future will hold? Maybe they’ll be the heroines for the feminist cause that no one expected. But for now, we should focus on women furthering the equality movement. Check out this countdown of 4 feminists who are taking Hollywood by storm. 

4. Beyonce

If we were to ask Hollywood, “WHO RUN THE WORLD?” we can guarantee that Beyonce Knowles will respond without hesitation, “GIRLS“! Her superior work ethic and confidence basically screams “female power.” She is a figurehead for feminism in Hollywood and will forever empower women all over the globe through her music. 

3.  Miley Cyrus 

She’s quoted as saying  “I feel like I’m one of the biggest feminists in the world, because I tell women to not be scared of anything.” We saw Miley transform from the mild Hannah Montana to the unique and wild feminist she is today. Her transformation came with much backlash from the media, but she persevered and continues to speak on empowerment for other women facing societal criticisms.

2. LordeIn comparison to our two previous feminists, Lorde is somewhat new to the Hollywood scene. Just because she hasn’t been in the business quite as long, doesn’t mean she hasn’t been able to voice her concerns on women’s equality. She has no problem speaking up when she hears other singers bringing down female subjects in their music.

1. Lena DunhamIs it really a surprise that Lena Dunham is number one on our list? She is a self proclaimed “third wave feminist,” with incredible attitudes on gender equality and body love. My favorite Lena quote is, “Women saying ‘I’m not a feminist’ is my greatest pet peeve. Do you believe that women should be paid the same for doing the same jobs? Do you believe that women should be allowed to leave the house? Do you think that women and men both deserve equal rights? Great, then you’re a feminist. People think there is something taboo about speaking up for feminism.”

Who’s your favorite feminist in Hollywood, Collegiettes?

Photo sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Quote sources: 12

Lover of Journaling,Food,Nature &All Things Beautiful any and all social media outlets || k_dails
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst