The Final Days Before Departure: Thoughts You Have Before Going Abroad as Told by New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It feels like all you’ve done over the past year is work towards something that would never happen; you ate, slept, and dreamt study abroad. You get so caught up in the details that actually leaving has felt like a distant memory- one that you would constantly be preparing for, but never actually reach. Until now.

After the most difficult semester of your college career, one day you wake up out of that survival-mode fog and realize that classes are over, and you are leaving the country in less than one month’s time.

*a small alarm goes off in your head*

All it takes is one conversation with a friend or family member about how soon you are leaving to set off the inevitable series of emotions that come with departing.

Over the last year, time after time, you have worn that extra-happy and slightly evil grin while telling others of your plans and all of the amazing adventures you will be having while leaving everyone to go about their normal lives.

And now that more and more “to do’s” are off of your list, that glow is even brighter than before. It is so close now, you can almost taste it! Abroad-itis has set in, and finals no longer seem as important as before. No awful organic chemistry grade can touch you while you’re living it up in another country.

Even though you are jumping out of your skin that you will be there in a few short weeks, you are reminded that there is one thing standing between you and your new destination: travel. A small panic accompanies your excitement. You’ve never flown alone before, let alone left the country. Anxiety levels rise, and you start to second guess your life choices.

But you are calmed by the thought that it’s all a part of the experience and you are ready for the challenge. You are going to become a worldly traveler; a queen of the airport. And that after that first flight, nothing will stop you.

After that conversation with yourself, you are reminded that you will be leaving your friends and family; those who have helped you get to where you are. The ones who have listened to you scream and laugh and cry about the whole process, and have loved and supported you leaving anyway. It pains you to leave them, but it is only temporary.

The days leading up to your departure become a series of positive and negative emotions. Ride out the waves of nerves because, at the end of the day, you know that you have made the right decision, and when you land in your destination, all worries will subside. 

I hope that you have a unique and wonderful experience wherever you go.

Happy travels, Collegiettes!

Images: 1,2,3,4,5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst