This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It seems as though feminism has been getting quite a bit of attention lately. Some of it is positive, some is negative. However, despite the media attention, and despite popular celebrities like Emma Watson and Beyonce advocating for feminism, it appears to me that a lot of people still don’t quite understandwhat feminism is. As a self-proclaimed feminist, I have decided to set the record straight.

First of all, I want to make it clear what feminism is. The Oxford English Dictionary defines feminism as “advocacy of equality of the sexes and the establishment of the political, social, and economic rights of the female sex.” So, immediately, we can throw out the idea that feminists hate men, or feminists think women are better than men. It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with equality for all.

Along these lines, feminism is not just for women. Men are more than welcome to join the ranks of John Legend, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ryan Gosling, Mark Ruffalo, and many other famous male feminists.

Now, here’s something I’ve actually heard a guy say: “I can’t be a feminist because I would never hit a girl.” His argument was that if feminists want equal rights, then they believe that men should be able to hit them without being judged. Okay, here’s an idea: how about we just end domestic violence and abuse? Seriously, the notion that feminists would condone domestic violence – regardless of who the perpetrator is – is just ridiculous.

Another misconception a lot of people seem to assume is that feminists are just “playing the victim.” I’ve read articles that call out feminists for pointing out things like street harassment and rape culture in order to make women feel like victims. Actually, the opposite is true. We want to show that rather than it being an individual event, it’s part of a larger pattern that needs to be addressed.

A lot of people might have heard about the Tumblr page Women Against Feminism, where women post reasons why they don’t need feminism. I noticed that some of the posts were along the lines, “I don’t need feminism because I’m not oppressed.” Honestly, that’s wonderful that you live in an area where women are afforded equal rights. But that doesn’t mean that the rest of world is like that. Being a feminist means supporting women’s rights, everywhere. It’s not about the individual, it’s about society.

Finally, there’s the notion that feminists consider women who choose to stay at home and raise a family as oppressed. Rather, it has to do with the freedom to choose what you want to do with your life, and respecting the choices that other women make.

I really hope some of you out there now have a better understanding of feminism. I think the most important takeaway is the idea of equal rights for all, and that’s it’s not about the individual, but about larger patterns in society. 

Photos/Gif: 1, 2, 3

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst