The Dos and Don’ts of Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Recruitment is intimidating – trust me, I’ve been there. You meet hundreds of girls within in a span of just a few days, all of whom are trying to convince you why their sorority is the best. It can be overwhelming to say the least. But if you know the right things to say it can make the process just a little bit smoother. Here are some pointers of what you should and should not talk about during recruitment that can help lead you down the path to finding the best sorority for you!

Things you SHOULD do…

Play yourself up.

If you have a cool talent or have played an instrument your whole life, don’t be afraid to boast a little. Talk about things that make you unique because after talking to hundreds of girls, at the end of the day it will be those quirky little tidbits that help us to remember you.

Talk about your hometown and family.

We like to get to know who you are and where you are from. Sometimes you find out you have connections to people you didn’t even know about, like the girl you’re talking to lives two towns over.

It’s okay to talk about high school.

Especially if you’re a freshman, you probably haven’t had too many other experiences that don’t involve high school. Talk about what clubs you were in, sports you played, or any other activities you may have been involved in. Talking about these things is an awesome way to find out what you have in common with girls who could potentially be your new sisters.

If you like us, let us know!

We are just as clueless about if you like us, as you are about if we like you. If after a few days of recruitment you really like a sorority, let them know. It makes it easier if we know a feeling is mutual.

Things you SHOULDN’T do…

Talk about that hot guy you just met and hooked up with.

It is college, we all have them, but do you really want the first impression you are giving someone to be that you hooked up with the whole soccer team? Use discretion on what you say. If you have a boyfriend you miss who goes to a different school or just went on the sweetest date, that’s something worth sharing that every girl can ‘awww’ at.

Party, Party, Party!

Everyone likes to have a good time, but if all you talk about is partying it can be a turn-off. No one wants a girl they’ll have to be constantly babysitting or picking up after when they have a drunken breakdown.

“I heard you guys are bimbos.”

All sororities have their stereotypes, whether you agree with them or not is up to you. But no one likes to hear all the negative things that have been said about them. After you talk to a sorority you can make your own opinion on how true those rumors are.

The most important thing to remember when talking to girls during recruitment is to stay genuine. You don’t want to change yourself to fit into a sorority; you want the sorority to fit you. If you are meant to be in a certain sorority you will know by the end of recruitment as long as you were true to yourself the way through! Good luck collegiettes™!

Heather Guo

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran is a current senior majoring in Psychology at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus UMass Amherst chapter. She is a Boston native and has lived in the town of Brighton for the majority of her life.Julie works part-time as an administrative assistant at the Student Legal Services Office on campus. She is also the Co-Founder and Vice-President of Ed2010 at UMass Amherst and a certified Rape Crisis Counselor. Julie doesn't have any solid plans for the future yet but wants to pursue a career in marketing. Her life goal is to travel the world, live in New York City at some point, and have her own business.