Don’t Settle Because You’re Lonely: A Message to Single Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being single is probably the best thing that could happen to some college students. With being single comes independence, freedom, and adventure, but unfortunately most find themselves in a slump when they get over the “I’m single and ready to mingle” phase…which slowly but surly turns into the “I’m lonely” stage.You’re desperate for a boyfriend and you’ll take anyone that you can get. This is where the problems begin.

You’re thinking that a boyfriend would be the perfect piece to your unfinished puzzle; he would make you happy! Of course you want the boyfriend of your dreams, but sometimes the timing isn’t right. Feeling lonely is normal! If we didn’t have loneliness we wouldn’t have any sort of companionship. Being lonely is just part of your life roller coaster. We all have high points and then some low points. It’s what makes the ride an adventure! You are beautiful, unique, and radiant in your own way. Just because you’re lonely does not mean you should settle for anything less than you deserve. Your boyfriend should compliment your personality and make you even more gorgeous than you already are. But when you’re not texting, hanging out, or Facebook chatting with a guy, you become more close-minded than ever before. You start to direct yourself towards a guy that is somewhat decent, just to keep your feelings of loneness away. It’s the wrong way to go sister! Also, you are never obligated to involve yourself with guys that you’re not interested in because you feel bad for them. Be honest! Tell the truth and have fun, it works out better for the both of you in the end. 

There are three things to keep in mind when looking for a guy:

1) Positivity: Always stay positive throughout meeting different guys. There’s a lot of fish in the sea, not every fish will be “the fish,” so don’t get discouraged!

2) That ‘it’ factor: Make sure he’s challenging you and always keeping you on your feet. Mysterious, yet stable enough for you to know he’s going to be there but also suprise you!

3) Chemistry: Of course there might be someone out there with the looks and perfect personality for you, but if you two have no chemistry it’s not going to work! Sorry to be harsh but it’s the cold truth. Make sure that when you two are talking you feel the connection and spark.

These three key points are very important, but what holds them together is patience. If you don’t have patience you’re going to get frustrated! Stay calm and cool, realize that not every guy out there is for you, but there is definitely someone who is. Loneliness is not forever! Relationships take time and loyalty; they are very complex, and you must be fully dedicated to them. Be yourself and definitely follow your heart! The heart will always lead you in the right place, sometimes it just takes a little time.

Just keep smiling! I love hanging out with my friends, movies, and staying fit. I love Umass Amherst and hope to bring a little insight and flare into your life with some advice, tips, and tricks I have up my sleeve.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst