Dealing With Bad Cell Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Depending on who is your cell phone carrier, western Massachusetts may not be your friend. If you have bad service out here like me, then you drop calls all the time and never recieve text messages. In some of the smaller towns you might get complete dead zones. It’s a huge inconvience and it can get stressful at times!

If we’re not from the area, a lot of us have to drive a decent distance to get home for the weekends and on breaks. Since the backroads of Western Massachusetts can get a bit confusing at times, we like to use our GPS just in case we miss a turn. The problem is when the service is so bad, your GPS stops working. Us Collegiettes know the struggle of trying to memorize the directions beforehand.

You can never stream music from Pandora or Spotify in your car. The music that you stream gets these annoying pauses whenever you lose service. Sometimes it’s better to just stick to the old songs that you have in your phone library (Honestly, who doesn’t like Fergie?). And forget trying to find a radio station station to jam to– it’s mostly all talk shows and oldies. 

Sometimes you like to take the bus to get to Hampshire Mall or NoHo. The only issue is you never get data service, so browsing your instagram on the PVTA is a no no. As a better alternative bring a book to read or download an interesting article before you leave campus! Or worse comes to worse enjoy the outside scenery. When you go over the bridge, the Conneticut River is beautiful…

…but wouldn’t it be cool if we got free WiFi on the PVTA?

You always recieve text messages late. When you’re out and about running errands you never get any messages. It can definitely be a good thing because you are able to get stuff done without people constantly bugging you. The downside is when you do get service your phone is beeping non stop! The messages asking “Where are you?” and “Why are you not answering?” are the worst. So no, your hotline is not blinging because you don’t have service.

These are the stuggles of having bad service in Western Mass, Collegiettes. 

Header: 1 Gifs: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst