A Collegiette’s Guide to Business Casual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you’re attending a career fair, have an interview or are simply prepping for life after graduation, you have probably heard the term ‘business casual’ thrown around a lot. It’s an oxymoron: ‘business’ implies formality, but then ‘casual,’ well, obviously doesn’t. After thorough research, speaking with Collegiettes and gaining some insight from career counselors, we present the ultimate guide to business casual.

Yes, there are a lot of resources to help you define the murky space between business professional and street clothing. However, a lot of those resources aren’t exactly giving you correct information. For example, many clothing websites feature a “business casual” section. Great! You can just click on the tab and pick from that selection.

Not so fast…

Retailers are often more focused on fashion and selling you a product than actually helping to decide what’s appropriate. This tank is featured in Gap’s business casual section. It goes without saying that this is not something you can wear to work. Even if you layer a cute cardigan on top, it is still too low cut to wear to the office. 

Pinterest has become our go-to for everything: recipes, DIY, travel inspiration and fashion advice. A quick search for “business casual” brings up some great results. However, a lot of the posts are also not actually appropriate for the situation. The most common piece of misleading information is that it’s okay to wear skinny jeans as long as they’re colored. While we all love our skinnies (and practically live in them the rest of the time) they should stay at home in this situation. While they may be black or another fun color, the important thing to remember is that they are still jeans. The other, perhaps even more important, reason they should stay behind is that they are simply too tight. Really tight pants, dresses, skirts or shirts have no place in the business casual universe. 

So speaking of living in clothing…we’ve reached leggings. While it may be okay to have your leggings double as pants on a college campus, it’s certainly not okay to take to a professional environment. Leggings should be treated as tights. Any skirt or dress should come to just above your knee, whether you have bare legs, tights or leggings. 

Now that we’ve gone over everything you can’t wear, you may be wondering what is left that you can wear. Don’t worry, Collegiettes, there are plenty of ways to do business casual in a stylish, flattering way.

Tops:

This is probably the easiest part of business casual fashion. Chances are you already own multiple shirts that you could wear to an interview. Short sleeve, long sleeve, three-quarter sleeve: it’s all acceptable. Make sure the top isn’t sheer, lace, a t-shirt or insanely wrinkly. 

Layer a cardigan or blazer on top for a sophisticated, polished look. Eva, a student at Southern Vermont College, likes to keep it functional and comfortable, “I love sweaters and blazers. They’re perfect when I’m cold, and I can easily shed them if I get too warm.” 

Bottoms: 

A black skirt is the most versatile option. It can be taken from day to night and makes it easy to switch up your look (check out this video that shows you seven different ways to style a black pencil skirt). Wear it with black tights and booties to make your legs look miles long, or opt for a cute patterned top and some ballet flats.

If you prefer pants, make sure they’re not too tight, but tailored. Just because you’re entering the adult world doesn’t mean you have to live a life of baggy pants. 

You can go for the long, elegant line flares provide…

…or opt for the sportier crop.

Shoes:

Every workplace is different, but when in doubt, it’s best to stick to close-toed shoes. Modest heels (try to stay away from massive platforms), cute flats or nice boots will always work. 

Accessories 

Steer clear of too much bling as well. Sequins are for Friday nights, not an interview. Jill, a soon-to-be college grad, sums it up well, “I keep jewelry very simple and minimal. Nothing too blingy or chunky–basic studs and a simple necklace and watch. Your goal is to be professional and impress them with your skills and personality, not to overpower them with flashiness!” 

So remember:

• Cover your shoulders
  • Watch out for low-cut tops
  • Leave the skinny jeans at home
  • Don’t wear anything too tight
  • Treat leggings as tights
  • Skirts and dresses should come to just above your knee
  • Avoid anything shiny or too flashy

Every company and situation is different. Are you in a creative field, like the arts? Or a more serious field, like accounting? Do some research and decide what side of “business casual” you think works best. “I think the important thing to stress is that every office environment is different so there is no one answer to what the standard should be,” Rebecca Bell, the Assistant Director for Career Planning at UMass, reminds us. However, “It is better to err on the side of being overdressed than to be underdressed.” 

Remember, you can still be fashion-forward and look good at work. Play up different colors, patterns and textures. Layer! It’s all about dressing like you, just in the context of your surroundings. 

Still have questions? Be sure to check out the upcoming Career Fashion Show and Career Clothing Sale. Student models will be showcasing clothing from places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls and JC Penney–all affordable stores located near campus. As if that wasn’t enough, the gently-used clothing sale after the show will give students the opportunity to buy work-appropriate clothing at a discounted price. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.