Celebrate Spring and Support a Local Cause: Daffodil Fun Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring is FINALLY here. Now that it has arrived, it’s time to get outside and celebrate. How about getting out and supporting a great cause at the same time? It doesn’t get much better.

The annual Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampshire County Daffodil Fun Run is coming up on Saturday, April 27th. For those who don’t know what Big Brothers Big Sisters does, here’s a quick summary:

Providing one-to-one mentoring relationships to local children in need of positive adult influence and friendship…volunteers spend time weekly with a child for at least one year developing a positive, trusting, and enriching friendship. A special person, such as a ‘big brother’ or ‘big sister’ can often be the one factor that can change the destiny of a child’s life, providing the resources and encouragement to become a productive and healthy adult.

As students, we don’t always think about the greater community we are a part of. There are almost 200 at-risk children in the area who are waiting to be paired with a mentor. Big Brothers Big Sisters relies on fundraising events like this one in order to support the program and help as many kids as possible. 

You can register ahead of time online. For students, it is $20.00 per person, but if you form a team (4 people or more) it drops to $17.00 per person! If you wait until the day-of to register, the prices each go up $3.00. 100% of those proceeds go to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampshire County. That means every dollar raised will in fact stay in Hampshire County and benefit a local child.

The Daffodil Fun Run takes place at Kendrick Park in Amherst. People of all ages and backgrounds come together to run or walk the route that goes right through downtown. Every year, the event is timed so that the thousands of daffodils in town are in full bloom. What better way to welcome the new season?

Oh, did I mention there’s food? The Pub in Amherst supplies free BBQ to all participants. YUM.

Here’s a quick rundown of the event info:

Location: Kendrick Park, Amherst (across from Bertucci’s)

Date: Saturday, April 27th

Check-In / Registration: 10:00-11:00am

Race Begins: 11:30am

Register: Online or at the event

Have Questions? Check out the Facebook Page, visit their event page or call (413) 259-3345

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst