This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Name: Ben Abel

Age: 21

Year: 2015

Hometown: Holyoke, MA

Major: English

Job: Franklin DC

Current Residence: Sylvan

Relationship Status: Single

Sign: Gemini

HC UMass: Other than classes, what else do you do on campus?BA: On campus I work a lot, and I am involved in theatre. Before I transferred to UMass Amherst, I was on the SGA Senate for UMass Dartmouth.

HC UMass: So if we were most likely to catch you on campus, where would it be?BA: Definitely at Frank, I actually spend a depressing amount of time at Frank between eating there and working there. *Laughs* But I do spend most of my free time in Central because that’s where my friends mostly are. I guess I’m not ever really in Sylvan!

HC UMass: What are some of your hobbies?BA: I like to… Jeez what do I do? Well I like to hike, and basically go on adventures. If I hear that there is a cool spot nearby, I’ll take my friends and try to check it out, like the Quabbin [Reservoir] or Puffer’s Pond, or any place that I can really explore. I also like to play video games.

HC UMass: So do you prefer the countryside over a city, or are you a fan of both?BA: I prefer being out of congested areas, it’s definitely nice to go out and leave behind all of the noise and people and just hike with my friends.

HC UMass: What would you like to do after college with English?BA: I was really unsure about that for a long time, and I always knew that I just wanted to leave MA. I grew up in Holyoke and now I’m going to school in Amherst, so I’m sure you can see my problem. But with English, I’ve realized that there are so many places outside of the U.S. where I can go to teach the language. Since I’ve always wanted to travel around the world, it’s something I’d really love to do….But if I don’t get out [of MA] then I’ll just probably turn into a Townie!

HC UMass: So you love to travel, where have you traveled to?BA: I did go to Colorado which was was fun. We were up in the mountains and it was really beautiful.

HC UMass: Have you left the country before?BA: No, which is basically why I want to leave so badly.

HC UMass: Well if you had a  #1 destination, where would it be?BA: Probably Ireland, I want to go everywhere to be honest.

HC UMass: You have really nice hair, but what would you say is your best trait?BA: People say I have really nice teeth, so let’s go with my smile. And the fact that I can be up for anything, I can have fun pretty much anywhere.

HC UMass: What do you look for in a girl?BA: Definitely kindness, but definitely also a sense of adventure, so we could go on a bunch of adventures together. Sense of humor too, because I’m always goofing around.

HC UMass: What would your ideal date look like?BA: I would try to think of a place that she has never been to before, but would enjoy. Creating a new and fun experience for someone is what I try to do when going on a date.

HC UMass: Would you say that you are an introvert or an extrovert?BA: It’s really dependent on the situation, immediately I am introverted until i get to really know a person. *Laughs* It’s a weird contradiction.

HC UMass:What advice would you give to a large group of people?BA: Well, at least on campus I’d say to just be kind to each other. This campus can have a disinterested atmosphere sometimes, and all of us are so busy that it is easy to forget that there are other people around going through life as well. So, try to have a sense of others and what others may be going through. Be considerate, which is difficult sometimes, I mean, I am not perfect. It’s really easy to fall into your own bubble.

HC UMass: What is the #1 thing on your bucket list?BA: Publish a book.

Photos: Jess Sterner 

Patricia Camerota

U Mass Amherst

Patricia is a Sophomore Communications Major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Patricia has a strong passion for writing, eating, painting, and playing with her dog. She wishes to pursue a career in Public Relations.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst