Campus Celebrity: Taylor Gilmore (Homecoming Queen Nominee 2013)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet Taylor Gilmore, a nominee for 2013 Homecoming Queen! Prepare to vote for your King and Queen starting October 15th.

Alexa: What are you involved in at UMass?

Taylor: I am a Communication and Marketing Intern for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and a Peer Advisor in the Communication Department. I am also on the Executive Board of Autism Speaks as a co-chair of the Public Relations Committee, and a member of Sisters on the Runway and the Ski and Board Club. I write articles for the Health and Fitness section of Amherst Wire, and through UMass Amherst I volunteer at the Holyoke Boys and Girls Club every week.

Alexa: Why do you think you would be a good representative of UMass?

Taylor: As a transfer student, I can compare UMass to other universities. I have experienced being a student at another university, and it has made me truly appreciate the people, the faculty, and the opportunities that UMass has to offer its students that enrich a higher level of learning and living. I would be a great ambassador for the university because not only do I have exceptional communication skills but also I bring a unique perspective to the position, which reflects how much I truly believe UMass is a great place to be. 

Alexa: What is your favorite UMass memory? 

Taylor: My favorite UMass memory is orientation. The people I met, the help they gave me and the friendly atmosphere helped me choose to transfer and it was the best decision I ever made. Reflecting on my time here, I’ve made tons of great memories, but my first impression of the school really stands out to me.

Alexa: What’s your favorite spot at UMass?

Taylor: My favorite spot at UMass is the 23rd floor of the library. I can’t say I love spending long hours at the library, but the view is spectacular. Seeing all of UMass situated between the mountains and farmland is what makes the campus so unique and special to me. The fall is the best time to take a peak because the leaves are blossoming with colors completely brightening up the campus, so if you haven’t yet, hop on the elevator and take it all the way to the top!

Alexa: What is the most useful thing you have learned at UMass (in or outside of the classroom)?

Taylor: The most useful thing I have learned during my time at UMass is that you get back whatever you put in. At such a diverse university, there’s something for everyone, you just need to find your place. Opportunities and friends won’t just fall into your lap, so you need to put yourself out there, be confident, and put in the effort to get what you want.

Alexa: What is your favorite activity during UMass Homecoming week and why? 

Taylor: My favorite activity is the Homecoming Football game. I’m from Walpole, so Gillette is like home to me. It’s nice to be able to share my UMass pride with family and friends and cheer on the Minutemen. And who doesn’t love a good football game in the fall? This year, I want to check out the Iron Chef Competition as well. I love to cook and I’m excited to see what they whip up! 

Alexa: If you were to be crowned UMass Homecoming Queen 2013 what would your reaction be?

Taylor: I would be so excited and proud to be chosen as Homecoming Queen because representing UMass is something that I take pride in. The experience alone has been a great opportunity and I am honored to have been chosen for the Royalty Court.

Alexa: If you could give one piece of advice to UMass underclassmen that are aspiring kings and queens, what would it be?

Taylor: I would tell aspiring kings and queens to get involved and show their school spirit! If you have pride in UMass you are a great candidate for King or Queen.

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.