Campus Celebrity: Sarah Figueiredo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Name: Sarah Figueiredo

Age: 21

Year: Senior

Hometown: North Attleboro, MA

Major: Marketing

Occupation: Co-President of Sisters on the Runway–UMass Division 

HC: Can you tell us a little bit about what you do for Sisters on the Runway?

Sarah: The other co-president, Rachel Ferry, and I manage an Executive Board of 13 officers to ensure project deadlines are met. WeSafe Passage–in Northampton, MA. We spread domestic violence awareness across the UMass Campus as well as through our social media outlets. I also deal with all financial aspects of our RSO. by DNSUnlocker”>

HC: What’s one thing you want people to know about SotR that they might not already know?

Sarah: We are not a sorority! Just because the name of our organization is Sisters on the Runway does not mean that men cannot join. We are more than accepting of men who want to be a part of our club and we encourage all men to come to our general body meetings and apply for E-Board positions for next year. We realize that domestic violence is not just a women’s issue; people from all walks of life can be affected by it and we support anyone who would like to help us spread awareness.

HC: What originally drew you to join this organization?

Sarah: Initially I was drawn to SotR when one of my friends mentioned that E-Board positions were open for a club that had an annual fashion show. The fashionista in me was beyond excited to participate in something like that! When I did more research about what the club was about and what their mission was, I was very inspired and impressed that these students were making such an impact on campus. The fashion aspect intrigued me and the mission sucked me in.

HC: Can you give us a sneak peek into some of the events you are planning for this year? 

Sarah: We are very excited about our events this year! This semester we are planning our annual workout event which will hopefully be a “broga” workoutwebsite and Facebook page for more information! 

Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.