Campus Celebrity: Michelle Nowak (Group Fitness Instructor)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We’ve all read the articles about how Zumba is the new “go-to” exercise for Collegiettes on every campus. While the health benefits of a full-body exercise are obvious, Zumba incorporates Latin, pop, modern, and other types of music into a dance routine that provides a workout for every muscle group you can think of! If you’ve ever attended her class at the UMass Recreation Center, you probably know that instructor Michelle Nowak goes above and beyond to make her class super fun and easy for those who aren’t as coordinated or athletic, while still pushing them through an intense workout.

Tzelalis: When and why do you think you became interested in training to be a fitness instructor?

Nowak: I got certified as a Zumba instructor in October of 2010 but I had been interested in doing so since July. It all started junior year of high school after my track season had finished and I began looking for another kind of exercise. I really enjoyed attending a Zumba class, learned the routines, and began going regularly. My mom encouraged me to become certified because not only would I be getting a great workout, I could also teach at whichever college I was to attend.

Tzelalis: What was your first choice of exercise before becoming a fitness instructor? Is there a particular reason you chose it? If you switched, why?

Nowak: Before I became a fitness instructor, I did both indoor and outdoor track. I also played volleyball recreationally. One of the reasons I switched to Zumba was because I had a lot of fun while doing it and it honestly didn’t seem like work.

Tzelalis: Did you expect that Zumba would become the “new big thing” in Collegiette exercise? Why do you think it is?

Nowak: I think that everyone is getting into it because word is spreading. Those who attend a class and enjoy it tell their friends, who do the same, and so forth. Everyone talks about how enjoyable and fun it is, but how they feel like they just got out of an extreme workout. I also think it’s because there is no prerequisite to doing it; there are no specific skills need, no dance background, anything. It’s not about technique, it’s about drive and motivation, so anyone can do it!

Tzelalis: How did you go about becoming an instructor?

Nowak: The process of certification is a 1 day, all-day affair. They taught us how to be instructors more than anything. We were taught specific moves to incorporate into our personal choreographies. We were also taught different kinds of cueing. The final part of certification consisted of us being split into groups and having to create a routine for a few measures of a song. Then, all groups came together and created one large routine with all the individual ones. 

Tzelalis: How are you able to balance teaching at the Recreation Center, staying fit yourself, and your college lifestyle?

Nowak: You just have to realize what’s important. That’s what I did. I prioritized and realized that schoolwork always comes first. I’m a junior Nursing major so there’s a lot of schoolwork to get done. First and foremost for me is school, then being healthy and working out kind of comes naturally. Since working out is part of my job, it’s great and not time consuming.

Tzelalis: What inspires you when you’re coming up with a routine?

Nowak: My biggest inspiration is my students. I try to put myself in their shoes when creating a routine because I don’t want it to be too hard. I always try to make it a challenge; a good and intense workout. I try to make it easy enough to follow but hard enough to make them work up a sweat.

Tzelalis: If you could give one piece of advice to the students that take your class, what would it be?

Nowak: I would tell everyone not to take it too seriously. Don’t get caught up on following the routines, down to the last details. It’s not about getting it right, it’s about staying in motion and having fun. Don’t be overwhelmed, let loose and have fun!

Irene Tzelalis

U Mass Amherst

I am a junior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, majoring in Psychology. I was born and raised in Athens, Greece until I came to study in the United States. I have family from New York and Egypt and love different cultures. I have an obsession with clothes and wish I could have majored in Fashion. My hobbies range from online shopping, to reading, to swimming, but I absolutely love writing. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus UMass.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst