Campus Celebrity: Juliette Sandleitner (Director of Photography for TEDxUMassAmherst)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Alexa: When and how did you get started with photography?

Juliette: I first became fascinated with photography my sophomore year of high school when I discovered the work of young, brilliant photographers on Flickr. I had always been interested in documenting life around me, but after coming across such breathtaking photos from other beginner artists, I wanted to use my camera for more than just snapping quick photos on family vacations. The need to document became a need to express, and photography became the perfect outlet.

Alexa: What organizations are you currently involved in?

Juliette: As of this semester I am the Director of Photography for TEDxUMassAmherst, the Executive Photographer for the Isenberg Marketing Club, and a staff photographer for the Massachusetts Daily Collegian. Aside from getting involved with these three organizations/clubs, I have also taken photos for a few other organizations around campus, such as Sisters on the Runway, Isenberg Women in Business, and Protect Our Breasts.

Alexa: What are some interesting photography projects you have worked on?

Juliette: In the past 4 years I’ve completed two separate 365 projects (taking and posting one photo a day for an entire year). My first project began as somewhat of an experiment in January of 2010 and ended that following December. During that time I learned a tremendous amount about the technicalities of photography (composition, lighting, features on the camera, etc.), but my second project was what truly opened my eyes to what photography could do for me personally. Starting on my 19th birthday and ending this past August, the 365 project documented my last year of being a teenager. Balancing schoolwork, clubs, organizations, and a personal project on the side was far from easy, but it taught me that working hard and managing my time right came with great rewards. I’m hoping to begin a new yearlong project in 2014, so keep your eyes open for that!

Alexa: What inspires you?

Juliette: A lot of different things inspire me! A few sources include films, songs, books, my professors, cities, the artwork of other artists and, of course, my friends and family. As probably any artist would say, though, sometimes the inspiration just isn’t there. The hardest part about photography can sometimes be as simple as finding the motivation to pick up my camera, so whenever I feel uninspired I simply remind myself that inspiration is something we must create ourselves. Lately I try to carry around my camera wherever I go – there’s always the possibility of a photo adventure.

Alexa: What kind of camera/lens/etc…do you use?

Juliette: When shooting digitally I typically stick to my Canon Rebel T3i with either a 50mm 1.8 or 28mm 1.8 lens. Last semester I took an introductory photography course and bought a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm 1.8 lens, so I’ve also been trying to use that and experiment with film, too.

Alexa: Which is your favorite photo of ALL TIME that you have taken?

Juliette: This is an extremely difficult question to answer, but as of right now my favorite photo would have to be the last photo of my second 365 project:

Juliette: Not only does it represent the end of a meaningful personal project and a milestone in my young artistic career, but it was also taken on my 20th birthday while I was studying abroad in the south of France, a time in my life I’ll surely never forget. As I mentioned before, my 365 project became a journey of creative growth, and looking back on this photo reminds me just how far I’ve come with photography.

Alexa: Are you currently doing any freelance photography work? How can people hire you to take photos for them?

Juliette: Yes! I love photographing people, so I’ll photograph anything from weddings and school events to a simple head shot for LinkedIn. The easiest way to contact me is through my email address (juliette8493@yahoo.com) but you can also message me through Facebook!

Alexa: What kind of tools do you use for photo editing?

Juliette: I currently use a pretty basic form of photoshop called Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, but I plan on upgrading very soon! When it comes to the actually process of editing it varies from photo to photo, but for the most part I just play with contrast, exposure, and color curves.

Alexa: What is one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos?

Juliette: One thing I wish I knew when I first started taking photos is the importance of understanding photo equipment. The camera doesn’t see what you see, so learning how to work a camera manually so that it can capture what you want is exceedingly vital!

Alexa: Whose work has influenced you the most?

Juliette: Young photographers I’ve discovered through Flickr definitely hold the most influence over where I’ve come to stand in the realm of photography. A few specific photographers that come to mind are Alexis Mire, Gina Vasquez, Rosie Hardy, and Emily Tebbetts. Their stunning portraits have captivated and inspired me to keep taking photos not just for freelance work or university organizations, but also for myself.

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.