Campus Celebrity: Emma Lugten (Homecoming Queen)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Introducing this week’s Campus Celebrity: Emma Lugten

Year: Junior

Hometown: Norfolk, MA

Major: Nutrition

Emma C: Why did you decide to run for Homecoming Queen?

Emma: I have a friend who was on the court last year and she sent me the application because she thought it was an opportunity I would really enjoy. It was another way to get involved. My sister is a freshman and I feel like I know a wide range of students and it sounded like a really cool opportunity.

Emma C: What was the process of applying and running for Homecoming Court?

Emma:  So you start with the application. A lot of the people who end up applying know someone who has been through the process before because sometimes it can be hard to find the application. If people are looking for it, which I encourage everyone to do, it’s pretty easy. You fill out an application that has a lot of questions that aren’t just your name, major, and hometown. It asks a lot about your involvement and your favorite parts of UMass. They pick 5 boys and 5 girls for the court and they then call you in for interviews. It is a 1 on 9 interview that has people from all different departments of the school like head of athletics and head of the student government. The interview is a big part of who ends up winning, and there is also an online vote.

Emma C: Now that you are Homecoming Queen what are your responsibilities?

Emma: I serve as a role model for the student body and sort of like a public figure. I do a lot of things with the alumni association such as go to different dinners and events. It gives the alumni someone that they can really picture as a college student, because many of the alumni haven’t been in college for a long time. When they are curious about donating or getting involved with the school it gives them something they actually see.

Emma C: What other organizations are you involved with on campus?

Emma:  I’m a sister of Alpha Chi Omega. I also am in the RSO Beautiful, which is new one. I’m in charge of Own Your Tone anti-tanning campaign, which we do before Spring Break. I’m also in the UMass Nutrition Association. I’m also learning how to do Dorm Talks so I can go speak to freshmen.

Emma C: How do you think your experience in your clubs and activities will help you succeed as Homecoming Queen?

Emma: A lot of the clubs I’m in involved in require a lot of committee work, which is a lot of cooperation and working with all different personalities. It’s been a good way to learn how to work in a group and how to get things done, such as delegating responsibilities.

Emma C: Do you have any advice for UMass students?

Emma: I would say everyone should apply for Homecoming Court because it is an incredible opportunity and the day of homecoming is amazing. There is a breakfast and a parade! I would also say to take classes outside of their major, because you will never have another chance in life to do that. Also try to get involved with things they weren’t necessarily involved with in high school because we have a lot of cool opportunities here.

Emma C: What made you pick Nutrition as your Major?

Emma: My dad had a heart attack when I was 15. He was a very fit guy but he didn’t eat very well. It was sort of a wake up call that sometimes you don’t see the warning signs of poor nutrition and the harmful effects. So I decided to learn more about it so I could educate people.

Emma C: Do you have any plans for the future after you graduate from UMass?

Emma: Well I have to do a dietetic internship for nutrition, which is sort of like a residency program. It will give me an opportunity to work with all different patient groups and decide which one I like the most and hopefully get a job with that!

Emma C: How do you balance all of your commitments and your school work?

Emma: I’m really big on to-do lists because checking something off on a to-do list is a really nice feeling. Lately I’m really big on breaking everything down by day because spending one day doing all your homework for the week is pretty miserable.

Emma C: Do you have a UMass bucket list? Is there anything you haven’t done here yet that you want to do before you graduate?

Emma: I haven’t been to Cold Spring Orchards where I guess we can do all sorts of apple picking. There also are just a bunch of places in Amherst where I’ve never been. I’ve always had a full meal plan all these years so it doesn’t seem responsible to go to them all, but it’s just a cool town I would love to go see and try everything.

Emma C: What is your favorite study spot on campus?

Emma: I’m not a big fan of the library. I really like the ISB, especially because you can get a snack if you need one. My roommate and I for the past 3 years have actually been going to Brueggers. We both get breakfast and don’t leave until whatever assignment we are doing gets done. We both have to finish so we keep each other accountable and focused. If it does take a long time you can always get lunch!

Photos provided by Emma L.

Emma Crowley

U Mass Amherst

Emma Crowley is a Junior at UMass Amherst. She enjoys frozen yogurt, fashion blogs, the smell of fresh cut grass, and endlessly stalking One Direction 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst