Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Blog

19 Signs You Were A Sleep Away Camp Counselor

By Katy Rieber
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

1. You are always counting down the days until next summer.  2. You traveled long and far to get to camp in upstate New York, Maine, Long Island, or Connecticut.    3. You work your butt off all summer and don't get paid anything.  READ MORE

The 7 Stages of Balancing your Long Distance Relationship and your Social Life in College

By Whitney Thomas
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

College is a time of figuring out your personal life. You meet new friends, new boys, and you're figuring out what you want in the long run. Sometimes, those things aren't always in the same place, and we think that we're capable of this complicated balancing act. Expectation “Everything will be fine. I’ll take weekends off to go and see the sweetheart and during the week I’ll spend time with friends. It’ll all workout!” Preparation READ MORE

Throwback Thursday: Our Lamest Facebook Statuses

By Mikaela Momot
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

Remember when you first got a Facebook, and you had to post about every single detail of your life? You're actually probably trying to forget about all the super lame things you wrote about, but fear not! We've dug through all those cringe-worthy posts, and here are some of our faves: READ MORE

The UMass ABC's

By Dara Cohen
October 22, 2014 - 9:00am

We all know the regular ABC’s and learn it from a young age.  But now that we’re older and attend college, let’s change the list of the ABC’s to demonstrate all the things UMass Collegiettes know and love.  A – Amherst, obviously. Amherst has been ranked in the top 10 best college towns in the country according to US News. It really doesn’t get better than that! For such a small town, it makes a big statement! READ MORE

Five Fall Inspired Desserts to Try This Semester

By Rachel Mallard
October 22, 2014 - 9:00am

Happy fall, Collegiettes! Fall is a fabulous season that has so much to offer: apple picking, corn mazes, halloween, and so much more. With Halloween coming around the corner, you may be thinking of hanging out with a group of friends or going to some sort of fall-themed party. What better thing to bring with you than some fantastic fall-themed baked goods? These fall-inspired recipes (other than being super easy to make, especially in a dorm room) are really unique and totally delicious! READ MORE

6 Classic Movies To Watch On a Rainy Day

By Meghan Kelly
October 22, 2014 - 9:00am

As a college student. there's a lot that you can and should accomplish between the time you wake up, whether in the morning or late afternoon, and the time you go to sleep. However, on a cloudy, rainy day it’s a lot easier to curl up in a warm blanket, hot chocolate, and a good movie. In the mood for a classic movie with light-hearted comedy? The Sandlot (1993) is perfect for just about anyone. With Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez remaining every college girl’s first-ever crush, this movie continues to be hilarious no matter how old we get. READ MORE

What's All the Fuss About? The Facts About Ebola

By Emily Mooshian
October 22, 2014 - 9:00am

Ebola is all over the news and seems to be a prominent topic in the discussions being held between families and students. But even with all of the headlines and alarming cases, I feel like no one is really being educated on what the disease is, and if we should be as alarmed as the media is trying to make us. So, to ease the mind of my fellow students and myself, I did some research on the disease, and decided to share my findings. There is nothing better than being informed about current events and topics of concern in the world. So let’s get started! Where did Ebola originate?: READ MORE

What His Tinder Photos Say about Him

By Chelcie C
October 21, 2014 - 9:00am

Tinder is the dating app of the millennial generation, but a Collegiette knows to never take anything at face value. Just like us, guys have particular aims when using the app. Before swiping right, take a minute to figure out which kind of guy you may be dealing with... Squinted eyes Typically pretty boys (or wannabe pretty boys) do this. It shows that he’s really into himself and probably won’t be so interested in you. Pictures with friends READ MORE

Makeup: Expectations vs. Reality (with Tips)

By Jessica Chien
October 21, 2014 - 9:00am

Question for all you Collegiettes: have you ever just failed at putting on makeup? You're getting ready to go out when a makeup disaster happens. Or you see a cool makeup look on Pinterest, try to recreate it, just to see it come out looking like costume makeup.  If you can relate to any of the above situations, you will know what I'm talking about when it comes to these expectations and the realities. 1.) The Bold Lip. Expectations: Reality: READ MORE

5 Fun Things to Do When Staying In

By Ellanje Ferguson
October 21, 2014 - 9:00am

So there’s nothing to do this weekend. You’re stuck inside, and homework is at the very bottom of your to do list. No worries, Collegiettes, here are a few things to add to the top: 1. Read a good book. Do not, I repeat, do not pick up a book for class. Read for enjoyment. When’s the last time you read a book that you wanted to? Light some candles, relax, and dive into a book that you’ve picked out for yourself. READ MORE