Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Blog

Walmart Labels Plus Size Women's Costumes as 'Fat'

By Meghan Kelly
October 31, 2014 - 9:00am

Walmart is known as one of the world’s largest retailers. This being said, one would assume anything that goes onto their website has been viewed by numerous worker’s to ensure the website is working and advertising successfully. But recently a customer stumbled upon a page on the retailer’s website that proves Walmart’s system may not be working:  READ MORE

The 6 Stages of Watching a Bad Horror Film

By Kristen Mouris
October 31, 2014 - 9:00am

There is a huge difference between watching a horror movie and knowing it's going to be bad and watching one because you genuinely want to be scared. And while watching a hilariously bad movie with terrible effects can be a great experience, there's something so disappointing when the hyped up horror film just isn't what you expected.  1. Anticipation  READ MORE

Raising an Umbrella for Hong Kong

By Brilee Weaver
October 31, 2014 - 9:00am

How easy is it to compose a 140-character tweet, or to share a link on Facebook? How liberating is it to openly and freely share opinions in a university classroom? How empowering is it to pencil in a voter’s ballot and be heard?  What is it like to live without these social and political freedoms? The threat is real for members of the pro-democracy 'Umbrella Revolution' in Hong Kong. READ MORE

10 Feminist Inspired Costumes

By Avery Klepacki
October 30, 2014 - 9:00am

Scrambling for last minute costume ideas? Looking for something original and bold? Try these ideas inspired by some pretty awesome female role models 1. Laverne Cox This inspiring critically acclaimed actress, producer, and activist is the perfect person to embody if you are aiming for a confidant look. Her iconic Time magazine photo is the perfect choice for a unique yet recognizable outfit.  2. Hillary Clinton READ MORE

Not-So-Healthy Halloween Treats

By Brooke Curran
October 30, 2014 - 9:00am

Ahhh, Halloween; those fantastic 4 days when you do minimal homework, wear minimal socially acceptable clothing and do maximum partying. What? I’m just being honest. Besides the clothes and the extra curricular activities, there is food… there is always food… we all love food. What makes food even better? If it is Halloween-ified, because would you rather have an English muffin pizza or a mummy English muffin pizza. Yeah, no brainer. Below are some yummy treats to both satisfy your hunger and feed your Halloween obsession. Heads up: None of these are all that good for you, but they sure are good for the soul. READ MORE

Why Collegiette Costume Options are Limiting

By Danielle Rivera
October 30, 2014 - 9:00am

Miranda: "Alright, what do they got? Witch and sexy kitten. That's it. The only two choices for women, witch and sexy kitten." Carrie: "Oh, you just said a mouthful there, sister." Once again, Miss Carrie Bradshaw has unknowingly fed us a pearl of wisdom, this time on the importance of female empowerment (all while casually shopping at a local convenience store. But we don't question it; it's the power of the Bradshaw.) READ MORE

10 Best DIY Halloween Costumes

By Cecilia Hennessy
October 29, 2014 - 9:00am

On a budget this Halloween and looking to make your own costume? Well, with a little creativity and some stuff you already have in your closet, you can! Here are 10 great DIY costumes: 1. Beanie Babies What you need: READ MORE

Halloween Costumes in a Hurry

By Siobhan Scott
October 29, 2014 - 9:00am

If you are the queen of last-minute like I am, then this article is for you. Forgot about that Halloween party you were invited to? Or maybe you were just too busy to really think about a costume? Or, like most of us, you just don't have the cash to spend on an elaborate costume this year. Either way, you're in need of a great look to rock this Halloween. Start searching through your closet (and maybe even your best friend's).  1. Zombie READ MORE

How to Survive a Horror Movie or TV Show

By Annelise Mahoney
October 29, 2014 - 9:00am

If you're into horror movies like me, you know there is nothing more frustrating than watching a character do something that will get them killed. Time after time, I witness the mistakes characters make. Well, I am here today to prevent this from ever happening to any of you. For your sake, I hope none of you ever have to worry about being in a horror film. But, if you do find yourself running from a clown/guy with an axe/possessed person/any other terrifying bad guy, then you're welcome.  1. If you see a creepy clown approach you, I don't know, maybe start RUNNING! READ MORE

6 Reasons Fall is Our Favorite Season

By Sarah Newcomb
October 28, 2014 - 9:00am

It’s that time of year when the leaves fall and the weather changes. Fall is the best season for many reasons. Here are just a few... 1. All our favorite holidays From Halloween to Thanksgiving, fall brings the best holidays. Halloween the only time of the year we can dress up however we please and not be judged. Plus, who doesn’t love a good costume? While Halloween brings on fun activities like pumpkin carving, Thanksgiving brings everyone together. Home-cooked meals and seeing friends at the local high school's football game is the best feeling. Fall is a occasion for good people, good food, and good vibes. READ MORE