Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Blog

Pearls From The Diaspora: A Banquet Recap

By Ellanje Ferguson
May 11, 2014 - 6:08pm

The women of the Rho Kappa Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. celebrated the 19th anniversary of their charter day with an end of the year banquet held in the Malcolm X Cultural Center at UMass on April 30th, 2014. READ MORE

5 Tips for Getting Started With Your Study Abroad Dream

By Nina Kalita
May 8, 2014 - 9:00am

The idea of studying abroad can be very exciting, but also a bit nerve-racking. There are a few steps to consider before you even need to take the long walk over to the International Programs Office (IPO) in Hills South. 1. Decide how long you want to study abroad for. There are many opportunities to study abroad while at UMass Amherst. It’s important to think about what you’ll be comfortable with whether it’s a short trip over a vacation or a whole semester. The university offers trips through out the year. 2. Check your eligibility. READ MORE

Why Telling Women Not to Report Sexual Harassment is Dangerous and Counterproductive

By Rachel Lauth
May 8, 2014 - 9:00am

So with the spring semester rapidly ending, it looks like most of us are starting to prepare for our summer jobs and internships. While we have a ton of hopes and expectations for what they can bring us, one thing we’re never expecting or hoping to experience is sexual harassment. According to the United States Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, sexual harassment is “unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature. Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex.”...

Lessons Learned from Seventeen Magazine's Editor-In-Chief: Ann Shoket

By Emma Crowley
May 8, 2014 - 9:00am

I was lucky enough to have been able to attend Rent the Runway Capstone Weekend. This was an event held in New York City for college women who “dare to dream big.” On Friday night, everyone in attendance went to an event in Soho at the L’Oreal Professional Soho Academy. Here we snacked on sweet treats, got our hair and makeup done, and got to mingle with other attendees. This was a great way to meet and network with other college aged woman from all over the country that had a common interest. On Saturday, the weekend’s main event was to hear from industry leaders and to participate in workshops. READ MORE

Dyeing Your Hair Without Killing Your Hair: Henna Edition

By Patricia Camerota
May 8, 2014 - 9:00am

The Definitive Ranking of Hollywood’s Power Couples

By Isabelle Kagan
May 7, 2014 - 11:35am

Apparently it’s that time of year again when almost every news source simultaneously decides to release their versions of a “hot or not” list, so to speak. Within the past couple weeks, the 2k14 edition of People Magazine’s “World’s Most Beautiful” list hit the newsstands, along with Time’s list of the “Most Influential People in the World.” We decided to hop on the bandwagon, but instead of limiting ourselves to individual people, we thought it more interesting to compile a list of the current Hollywood duos who are killing it over in la-la land. READ MORE

5 Reasons to Love Benedict Cumberbatch

By Anastasia Armstrong
May 7, 2014 - 11:27am

Benagle Cucumberbatch? Benigle Cumblebirch? Bendy Crabbybatch? When you say Benedict Cumberbatch’s name out loud to an unaware friend, these may be some of the ridiculous names they repeat after you and it makes sense.  Benedict Cumberbatch? Is that serious? READ MORE

5 International Online Shopping Sites You'll Wish You Had Known Sooner

By Andrea Afrikian
May 7, 2014 - 11:17am

It's hard for any Collegiette to deny that she loves online shopping. It is a great way to procrastinate but also to reward yourself after a super difficult final. You can always find unique and different styles on the Internet from all over the world. There are tons of up-and-coming designers and stores in other countries that we do not have here. Here are some of the cutest international online boutiques: Xenia READ MORE

A Letter to Reluctant Runners: My First 5K Experience

By Brilee Weaver
May 7, 2014 - 11:10am

Dear Reluctant Runners, I’ve been there. I remember scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed as I usually - ahem, always do when I have homework to do. Sandwiched between a new relationship status and a hilarious link was a rainbow-clad event page. Curious, I clicked on it: ‘Chasing Color 5K.’ READ MORE

The Most Important Lesson I Learned Freshman Year Was Not in a Classroom

By Jane Stream
May 6, 2014 - 9:00am

"Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." - Muhammad Ali READ MORE