Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Blog

Ferguson: Keeping the Protests Alive

By Anastasia Armstrong
October 25, 2014 - 9:00am

On Saturday, August 9, policeman Darren Wilson shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. Michael was unarmed. After placing his hands up and telling the officer this, Wilson proceeded to shoot him at least six times. READ MORE

UMass Tailgate Culture vs. UMass Football: The Problem We Face

By Clare Leathersich
October 25, 2014 - 9:00am

It is no secret that most people love a good UMass tailgate. We mark them on our calendars, wait for weeks, prepare our outfits and secure our plans, all for an event that precedes a football game that we most likely won’t step foot into. READ MORE

The Only Breaking Bad One-Liners You'll Ever Need

By Brittany O'Neil
October 25, 2014 - 9:00am

It’s pretty safe to say that Breaking Bad is one of those iconic TV shows that we’ll keep watching (*ahem* Netflix-binging!) time and time over again. I don’t know about you, Collegiettes, but I’ve been missing Walter White and Jesse Pinkman for a solid year now. But even with that in mind, I haven’t been able to stop saying those amazing one-liners at the most inconvenient times (and to my friends’ annoyance)! Need some examples? When I’m on a complete study-roll… …And when someone tries to break it: Being wicked fascinated by my STEM classes: READ MORE

10 Things Guys Need to Realize

By Lauren McLellan
October 24, 2014 - 9:00am

Ahhh, boys. As the old saying goes, "You can't live with them; you can't live without them." They love to critique our lives, acting as though theirs are flawless.  Here are a couple of things you can inform them the next time they try to be critical of you.   1. Sure we might take the covers, but we're being kicked off of the bed. 2. You spend just as much money on clothes as we do. 3. You think we're stubborn... READ MORE

A GIF Story: Skydiving in a Nutshell

By Brooke Curran
October 24, 2014 - 9:00am

“If you could do one thing before you die, what would you do?” A lot of people will say “Go skydiving!” Whether it’s because they just can’t think of anything else or because it’s always something they have wanted to do, it is still an activity that sticks out in people's minds. Why? Because it’s absolutely insane! Two summers ago, I decided to spend money to backflip from a plane at 14,000 feet and this pretty much sums my experience up.  1. When your friends ask you of you want to go skydiving... Because... FOMO. 2. When you schedule your jump... READ MORE

Break Out Your Hit Clips: 10 Songs of Your Childhood

By Annelise Mahoney
October 24, 2014 - 9:00am

Have you ever heard a song that has made you jump out of your seat because it brought you back to your childhood? About a week ago, my cousin and I started searching around YouTube and came across some songs that, needless to say, made us feel like little kids again. That has to got to be one of the best things about music: its ability to take you back to a moment in your life, whether that moment is happy or sad. I hope that the list I compiled here will bring you back to your childhood or a moment in time and will make you feel happy. From boybands to girlbands to solo artists, I've got you covered. So without further ado, here are ten songs that will bring you back to your childhood....

The 7 Stages of Balancing your Long Distance Relationship and your Social Life in College

By Whitney Thomas
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

College is a time of figuring out your personal life. You meet new friends, new boys, and you're figuring out what you want in the long run. Sometimes, those things aren't always in the same place, and we think that we're capable of this complicated balancing act. Expectation “Everything will be fine. I’ll take weekends off to go and see the sweetheart and during the week I’ll spend time with friends. It’ll all workout!” Preparation READ MORE

Throwback Thursday: Our Lamest Facebook Statuses

By Mikaela Momot
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

Remember when you first got a Facebook, and you had to post about every single detail of your life? You're actually probably trying to forget about all the super lame things you wrote about, but fear not! We've dug through all those cringe-worthy posts, and here are some of our faves: READ MORE

19 Signs You Were A Sleep Away Camp Counselor

By Katy Rieber
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

1. You are always counting down the days until next summer.  2. You traveled long and far to get to camp in upstate New York, Maine, Long Island, or Connecticut.    3. You work your butt off all summer and don't get paid anything.  READ MORE

6 Classic Movies To Watch On a Rainy Day

By Meghan Kelly
October 22, 2014 - 9:00am

As a college student. there's a lot that you can and should accomplish between the time you wake up, whether in the morning or late afternoon, and the time you go to sleep. However, on a cloudy, rainy day it’s a lot easier to curl up in a warm blanket, hot chocolate, and a good movie. In the mood for a classic movie with light-hearted comedy? The Sandlot (1993) is perfect for just about anyone. With Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez remaining every college girl’s first-ever crush, this movie continues to be hilarious no matter how old we get. READ MORE