Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Blog

20 Inspirational Quotes That Will Turn Your Day Around

By Diana Weinstein
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

Let's face it: It's that time of the semester. We're suddenly getting hit hard with assignments that all just so happen to be due at the same time, and we're stressing out beyond control. The struggle has never been more real. Here are 20 inspirational quotes to help get you through this rough patch. READ MORE

Why Women Need to Treat Women Better (Including Yourself!)

By Krystiana Prescott
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

In today's day and age, it can be easy to make jokes about issues we think are in the past, or are just innocent fun, but sometimes it's important for us to take a step back and remember to appreciate our modern culture and all we have accomplished for equality. Tons of stereotypes exist today about many different groups of people, and one of those groups is women. So here's a little reminder, Collegiettes, of why we rock and should all expect to be treated well! READ MORE

A Letter To: The Gym (Why I Don't Need You Right Now)

By Ellanje Ferguson
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

Let’s face it, you have become nothing but a trend. It almost seems like no one really likes you, but they just do it because it makes you look good. Dressing up in brand new active-wear and the latest Nikes is way more pleasing than what you do for me. You have become a place to take more selfies... one right before my “workout” and one right after because I’m sure that one sweat stain and muscle arm is definitely getting me more likes. This sounds terrible, but I would only go to the gym because it’s the new norm, you know? It's what Kim does and since she’s my spirit animal – it's what I should do too, right? READ MORE

6 Places on Campus to Study (Besides the Library!)

By Kat Kent
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

The Science and Engineering Library - While this area is still technically a library, you won't find the throngs of people filling W.E.B. DuBois during finals time when the elevator goes to every single floor, because of course someone presses the button for the seventh floor when the sixth and eighth floors are already selected - what else do you expect during finals week? It's also closer to Worcester, Northeast, North Apartments, and Sylvan for Collegiettes living in that neck of the woods.  READ MORE

Her Story: How Dance Team Made Me Who I Am Today

By Morgan Tutton
April 17, 2014 - 9:00am

I’ll never forget that feeling when I opened the letter that confirmed my position on my varsity high school dance team, The Sachem East Varsity Arrowettes.  At that time I had no idea how the journey that I was about to embark on would define a part of me forever.   READ MORE

Up and Coming Artists To Watch: Kalin & Myles

By Kelly Capri
April 17, 2014 - 9:00am

Kalin White and Myles Parrish are a music duo unlike any other. Kalin, 19, the vocals of the duo, and Myles, 21, the rapper, are both from the Bay Area, California.  Myles started making raps and beats by recording from his room. He ended up joining forces with Kalin and they decided to make a song together, then shot a video for it. (“More Than Friends” was their first video, check it out here!) READ MORE

Summer Books to be A Well-Read Collegiette

By Adelle Girvan
April 17, 2014 - 9:00am

It's almost over, Collegiettes! It's almost that time of the year that means sun, sand, and a little bit more breathing time. But, don't catch a bad case of the “Summer Brain-Drain.” Instead, read these three awesome books that are great reads, and literature that you can use in your academic life: The Bell Jar - by Sylvia Plath. Plath is a great American female writer. Native to Massachusetts, this author writes an amazing story about mental illness. While this book shouldn't be considered a “beach read,” it is a great book to able to reference and have in your repertoire. READ MORE

4 Fabulous Natural Hair Inspirations

By Simonica Mendes
April 17, 2014 - 9:00am

The natural hair journey is not an easy one. Cutting off your hair to start over is never easy especially when cutting your hair in general can be heart breaking. And even if you're not cutting your hair, changing your damaging habits can be tough to break. Managing natural hair can prove to be a challenge too especially on the days where your hair takes on a personality of its own and just doesn't want to cooperate. But there is always hope and light at the end of the tunnel. There are so many women with gorgeous natural hair out there with tips and secrets to share! So, I am here to shed some light on these beautiful natural hair inspirations. READ MORE

The 5 Types of Snapchats We All Receive

By Leah Mertes
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

It’s something we are all guilty of: pausing in the middle of a busy pathway on campus to sneak a picture of the sunset, taking your chances and praying no one sees you taking that quick picture of your professor, or even public ridicule in class while you practice the duck face into your phone. And why do we do this? Well, there’s only one reasonable explanation... and that is, Snapchat. With new filters and the ability to make a 24-hour story displaying every single person you encountered, the Snapchat addiction is growing. Even though our score on this app shows that we both send and receive an insane amount throughout the day, there are only a couple different types of pictures we receive. The Party Snapchat...

When Good Girls Go Bad: Why Sandy From Grease Is An Inspiration

By Elizabeth Young
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

We all know Sandy from Grease as the good girl gone bad. Yet she proves to be an inspiration to all women by the end of the movie and this is why. Sandy is an innocent and caring girl that wears sweaters and long skirts with her hair always pulled back. She speaks kindly to everyone and never has a negative thing to say. Sandy falls in love with Danny who is a greaser, when they met and spent the summer together. Sandy was taken back when Danny maintained his bad boy image that she didn’t know about over the summer. At first she didn't understand why he acted the way that he did, and this is when she realizes that she needs to change. Danny came to the same realization as her and wanted to become a jock in order to please her desires....