Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Blog

Male Birth Control: Ladies... You're Free from the Pill

By Jacob Liverman
April 22, 2014 - 9:00am

UMass Collegiette Kayla Setters talked last November about the muck and mire of... THE PILL. Dun dun duuuuuuuuunn. If your ovaries make you want to cry, you are about to hear some very, very good news. READ MORE

How to Make UMass Your Home Away From Home

By Elizabeth Lundin
April 22, 2014 - 9:00am

The adjustment from that home that’s far too familiar to college can be a tricky leap for some! For those of you who are having a tough time adjusting, here are some tips to help your dorm room feel more homely. 1. Bring Pictures. READ MORE

Study Break: 8 Fun Buzzfeed Quizzes

By Allie Bush
April 22, 2014 - 9:00am

It seems like every day there is a new Buzzfeed article, list, or quiz being shared on my Facebook newsfeed. If you are unfamiliar with Buzzfeed, it is an entertainment website that includes articles that cover a variety of topics, from pop culture to major world events. It's definitely a good website to browse if you're looking to procrastinate. My favorite thing to do on the site is take the quizzes they post. They're random and silly, and the questions often have nothing to do with the results, but they are nonetheless entertaining. Here are some fun and quirky ones to try: READ MORE

5 Celebrities You Didn't Know Went to UMass

By Amanda Keohane
April 22, 2014 - 9:00am

Hello fellow UMass Amherst Collegiettes! I know that we are all full of UMass pride because there are so many reasons to love this amazing school, but did you know that there are many UMass celebrity alumni? Here are a few that I bet you weren’t aware of! 1. Richard Gere Richard Gere is known for his iconic roles in films such as Pretty Woman (1990), Chicago (2002), and Primal Fear (1996). While this Golden Globe winning actor didn’t graduate from UMass, he still spent time here and is considered a UMass alum. READ MORE

21 Examples of How 21st Century Technology Has Schooled Our Parents’ Generation

By Rachel Cerbone
April 21, 2014 - 9:00am

Your mom needs help navigating her brand new iPhone 4, your dad refers to tablets as “oversized smart phones,” and your grandma has yet to master T9Word. The generations before us, though wise and all-knowing, have nothing on technology and lucky for us, we get to hear all about it. 1. You’ve become the “technical expert” in your household. You’re called upon to unfreeze computers and adjust the recent Daylight Savings Time change. 2. You don’t dare do anything on your parents’ phone or computer without giving explicit instruction and walking them through it. They need to “learn.” READ MORE

The Weirdest Kids Toys We Never Actually Realized Were That Weird

By Olivia Kennis
April 21, 2014 - 9:00am

When we were younger, we didn’t really question what was put in front of us like we do as young adults today. Times have changed for little kids, as a trip to the playground is becoming more and more outdated for a way to spend your afternoon on a play-date. Instead, kids are moving towards a more technological, less imaginative childhood. As the current teen-young adult generation grows older, we can now look back at some of the products and pastimes that were once considered ‘fun.’ While these facts may be saddening, at least we can finally say good riddance to these incredibly strange kids toys: Wiggly Water Tube READ MORE

Follow the Frog: How YOU Can Help Save the Rainforest

By Emma Haskell
April 21, 2014 - 9:00am

We all know that our environment has what scientists call a “grim future.” There are so many great ways to lessen your impact on the environment, but lately it seems that the chicest thing to do is go on a service trip and live out the “cliché gringo fantasy.” Jetting off to the jungles of Central and South America and becoming one with the tribesmen, only to come back a little tanner and with some seriously cool handmade jewelry, is a great experience, sure, but what does that actually do to help the environment? READ MORE

10 Items You'll Absolutely Love This Month

By Irene Tzelalis
April 21, 2014 - 9:00am

It’s April, which means the sunny weather and the warmer temperatures are heading our way, Collegiettes! As the new season approaches, there are a few wardrobe additions that every girl needs to welcome the sun in style. 1) Round Neck Coat with Zip; Salmon - Zara $159.00 This year’s seasonal trend seems to be pastels in every color. This salmon oversized coat is a simple statement piece that will add brightness to every outfit of your choosing. The coat is necessary for those breezy days when the sun just isn’t warm enough. READ MORE

10 Instagram Accounts Every Collegiette Should Follow

By Katie Gainer
April 20, 2014 - 9:00am

@time READ MORE

The Dangers of Online Shopping - Why You Need to Read the Small Print

By Kyla Galer
April 20, 2014 - 9:00am

There are few better feelings in college than waiting for the arrival of a package. Unfortunately, it seems as if the over the top (but amazingly awesome) care packages from Mom and Dad slowly start to diminish after freshman year, once they realize that cosigning our college loans were about the biggest care packages they could give you. Pretty understandable, I suppose.  READ MORE