Albums That Will Definitely Make Your Summer Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We’re right around the corner from lazy summer days and endless nights, and with that comes a wave of new music coming out this summer! Some of this Collegiette’s favorite artists are back, along with some new up and comers. These albums are sure to make it onto your summer playlists.

Lana Del Rey

I mean, she’s the queen of summertime. Her new track “West Coast” just dropped as a teaser for her album coming out over the summer, and it’s no joke; this album is about to be all you’ll want to listen to. Lana knows what her fans want to listen to and she and her flower crowns are back and ready to impress. 

Jhené Aiko

She has the melodic voice of an angel and is every bohemian’s fashion dream. Jhené made waves recently at her first Coachella appearance when she brought out Drake to perform “From Time” and Childish Gambino to perform “Bed Peace.” Both of these are bonafide hits and one of her songs “The Worst” is currently floating on the Billboard Hot 100. All of this, only from an EP. Her full album is due out sometime in May, filled with more summery, breezy R&B tracks for you to play on repeat.

SZA

Hear me out, she’s brand new, but her first album “Z” just came out in mid-April. Every single song is beautifully crafted with an ethereal vibe sounding out from each track in her melodic and soulful contemporary R&B style. Whether you’re wandering through parks and beaches or driving around, her voice will transport you to whatever fantasy you’re craving.

Ed Sheeran 

What will he do when he runs out of mathematics symbols for album titles? His next album “x” comes out June 23rd and it’ll be everything you’ve wanted and more. His soft, soulful voice and endearing lyrics will make it impossible not to sing along with and feel all the ~*~fEeLs~*~.

Steve Aoki 

The EDM king is gearing up to release another album titled “Neon Future,” dropping teaser track recently, “Rage the Night Away” featuring Waka Flocka Flame. If the title of this track is any precursor to the rest of the album, you’ve already found the soundtrack to all the summer parties so you won’t miss UMass too much over the summer. 

Nicki Minaj

Reigning hip-hop bad b*tch is back on her next album “Pink Print.” While she recently has toned down her typically overdone look, she’s going back to her hip-hop roots, so don’t expect anything along the lines of previous songs like “Starships” or “Super Bass.” This new Nicki is sure to be something bad as hell and will make every Collegiette feel like she’s running the show.

Kendrick Lamar 

This is just wishful thinking. It’s been two years too long without any K-Dot and with all the teasers coming from his label TDE management, there’s a moderate-ish chance something will be released as one of the six promised TDE albums this year. Dr. Dre gave a teaser in a recent Beats by Dre commercial, and Kendrick couldn’t sound better. A girl can hope, right?

Kanye West 

Again, no guarantees but whispers in the music industry have hinted at the follow up to Yeezus being released this summer. Kanye’s tight-lipped as ever about a possible new project, but I know my eyes are peeled for some new Yeezy.

These fantastic albums fit every Collegiette’s summer needs, from lazy R&B to hyped up EDM and everything in between. Before you know it, it’ll be time to create new playlists for Fall 2014. Just kidding, enjoy your summer full of wonderful music!

Elena Lopez

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst