9 Reasons to Take a Gap Year Gamble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

People tend to divide gap year students into two categories. The first group uses their parent’s money to sit on top of the Eiffel Tower or the Pyramids of Giza, surf the waves of California or Australia, and hike the mountains of Tibet or Switzerland. The second group saves money by sitting in armchairs, surfing channels and making a hike to the fridge every once in a while. However, these stereotypes couldn’t be further from the truth. Gap years can actually provide students with the opportunity to grow personally and become more inquisitive, explorative, and mature. If that isn’t enough to make you re-consider, here are some reasons to take a gap-year gamble:

1. It could help raise your GPA

While some might think that taking time off from school would harm your grades, a 2011 study at Middlebury College, conducted by former Dean of Admissions Robert Clagget, found that students who had taken a year off had consistently higher GPAs than those who did not. A break from school can actually provide your brain with some much-needed rest, and leave you refreshed and eager to learn.

2. Gap years can help you decide your major

Expecting a 17 or 18 year old to make such crucial decisions about the future is both mentally exhausting and stressful. The additional time that a gap year offers will allow you to consider your career aspirations at length, time which is denied to those who head directly to college or grad school after graduation.

​3. You’ll save money in the long run

Gap years may cost money, but not nearly as much as higher education. What’s the point of spending upwards of $150,000 on college or grad school if you aren’t even sure about what you want to do in the future? Most families cannot afford the luxury of extra college semesters, and taking time off to figure out your goals won’t just relieve you from the pressure of decision-making–it’ll relieve financial stress as well.

4. You’ll become more independent.

Not having your familiar support system to fall back on can seem like a curse, but it is also one of the best ways to become self-reliant. Nothing forces independence like learning how to operate public transportation in another city, order off of a menu in another language, file your taxes, and manage your time efficiently (all skills which you’ll benefit from in the long run).  

5. They’ll help you transition to new environments 

Being thrown into totally new surroundings is scary, but if you can adapt to new cultures during your gap year, you’ll have no trouble adjusting to college life. A gap year can help you to maintain confidence and integrate easily when you’re in an unfamiliar situation, or adjust to a new home or workplace.

6. They’re a great addition to your resume

Real-world experiences aid students in preparation for future job-searches and employment. Because our generation has such a large number of college grads, employers also search for personal attributes when hiring. The importance of exhibiting traits that distinguish you from the rest of the job applicants cannot be understated, and gap years can help you develop them.

7. You’ll always have something to talk about.

Not everyone can say that they took a year off to trek across Europe or spent a few months immersed in a different culture. Being able to say that you worked abroad or traveled cross-country is a great conversation starter, and it makes you stand out as a unique and independent individual.

8. You’ll make new friends and connections.

The people you meet on your travels could very well become your best friends, and it’s never a bad thing to see familiar faces when traveling in the future. Having friends in other places also gives you an excuse to visit them, and who doesn’t love an opportunity to travel?

9. You’ll be exposed to new cultures. 

Traveling to new places is an incredible way to learn about the various governments, religions, and people of the world. Cultural exposure provides you with new and refreshing perspectives which open your mind in ways that school cannot. You’ll have first-hand knowledge and opinions that will set you apart from everyone else, and you’ll be a more interesting individual because of it!

GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Leah Rosenfield

U Mass Amherst '20

Professional ice skater and polisci major; Lover of all things travel-related or glittery.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst