This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Don’t have any big plans yet this summer? Need some fun things to do on the weekends? Check out these road trip-able adventures.

1. New York City, NY

Of course, the entertainment in NYC is endless. You can get half priced Broadway tickets by buying them the day of the show, you can go to M&M World, and you can easily spend an entire day strolling around Central Park or the Central Park Zoo. 

2. Great Barrington and Stockbridge, MA

These two small towns are very cute. Great Barrington is home to many unique shops: they have a cave crystals shop, some quirky toy stores, a Native American shop, and Baba Louie’s—the pizza place famous for its sourdough crust. Right down the road is Stockbridge, known as the most beautiful town in all of Massachusetts. 

3. Lake Placid, NY 

Lake Placid was home to the Winter Olympics in 1980. It is a quaint lakeside town with tons of shopping and restaurants on the water. In addition, you can tour the Olympic facilities, such as the ski jump ramps, and you can stand on actual Olympic medal podiums. Lastly, there are infinite opportunities to get out on the water—kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding… 

4. Cherry Springs State Park, PA

Ever dream of seeing the Milky Way? This park in the heart of Northern Pennsylvania is one of the best places in the USA to see the Milky Way on a clear night. While it’s a bit of a trek, there are inexpensive camping grounds nearby where you could easily spend the night under the stars. 

5. Mt. Monadnock, NH

This mountain is great for a moderately challenging afternoon hike. Make sure to give yourself at least a few hours to reach the top because they clear the summit before sunset so that you don’t have to climb down in the dark. Bring lots of water, and make sure to pack your own lunch as the town nearby has very limited options (McDonalds and some diners). 

6. Boston, MA

I’m sure most of you have been here, but there’s always something new to discover. Have you done the Freedom Trail? Toured Fenway Park? Walked around Yawkee Way after a Red Sox game and listened to street performers? Gone to the SOWA food truck and vendors market? Had an authentic Italian dinner in the North End? Gone shopping at the Primark downtown? The possibilities are endless. 

7. Newport, RI 

Newport is a beach town, so of course, there’s a ton of seafood, ice cream, and touristy shops to explore. But, there are also rows of some of the largest mansions in New England, quiet beaches with incredible sunsets, and more. Once you fall in love with it over the summer, make sure to go back for their awesome St. Patty’s Day parade next year! 

8. Mt. Greylock, MA

This mountain is less for the hiker and more for the sightseer. There is a road that takes you almost all the way to the summit where you can then climb to the top of the look out tower. However, if you are an avid hiker, you can opt to summit the mountain by foot (it’s not an easy hike). It’s a great place to watch the sunset or relax for an afternoon. Plus, the local towns are full of things to do, such as visit Mass Moca, the famous art museum. Fun Fact: It’s the tallest mountain in MA!

Get out and explore, Collegiettes, and have an awesome summer!

Photos: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Emily Adelsberger

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst