8 Instagram Accounts to Follow to Add Girl Power to Your Daily Feed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Social media can be a great tool, or a detriment—it all depends on how you use it. Particularly for women, it sometimes requires effort to cultivate an Instagram feed that is filled with empowering posts. We want to tackle this one account at a time to help you get a little more girl power on your daily scroll. 

1. @ActuallySheCan

Launched by the pharmaceutical company Allergan, Plc, #ActuallySheCan is a campaign targeted towards millennial women that promotes information about female healthcare, wellness, and contraceptive options. They maintain an educational website featuring content about how to achieve a healthy body image through safe dietary habits and exercise. Their feed mainly consists of inspirational quotes of the day, and pieces of work out gear from their collection. 

2. @AmyPoehlerSmartGirls

Founded by Amy Poehler, Meredith Walker, and Amy Miles, Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls is an organization that focuses on teaching young people to cultivate their authentic selves. Their call-to-action campaigns aim to educate about self-care, politics, and the importance of education for all. Most of their pictures show examples of young girls and women all over the world making a variety meaningful and innovative contributions to their communities.

3. @GirlsInc

While it started as a women’s movement during the Industrial Revolution, Girls Inc. has evolved into an organization based on education programs that encourage girls to take risks and overcome societal, physical, emotional and intellectual obstacles. An advocate as a force for change, the organization reinforces the idea that girls are just as capable of men, and teaches them how to strengthen their voices within their communities. Lately, a majority of their posts have meant to educate and inspire female voters.

4. @GirlUpCampaign

Girl Up is the United Nations Foundation’s “adolescent girl campaign” that promotes girls supporting girls. In their own words, “Our efforts help the hardest-to-reach girls living in places where it is hardest to be a girl.” Their Instagram page is full of girls in their different programs visitng the Capital and working to make positive change happen. 

5. @HeForShe

HeforShe is a solidarity movement started by the women of the United Nations; their main goal is to unite the genders and promote inclusivity in feminist advocacy, so that both men and women may “come together as equal partners to craft a shared version of a gender equal world.” Quotes of support from people such as Justin Trudeau, Trevor Noah, Anne Hathaway, and of course, Emma Watson, make up a majority of their feed. 

6. @LennyLetter

An online feminist magazine created by Lena Dunham and Jennifer Konner, Lenny Letter features political essays, personal stories, artwork and interviews with women from around the world. You can sign up for their bi-weekly newsletter on their site. Promotions for new articles and stories will be on your feed if you follow their account, which will enliven your day (and your spirit). 

7. @MalalaFund

Founded by Malala and Ziauddin Yousafzai, the Malala Fund advocates for female education around the world, especially in places where that fundamental right is hard to ensure. They sponsor both large and small educational programs around the world, and actively advocate to protect safe school environments for all. Join the #YesAllGirls movement. Images of girls all over the world speaking at events and in front of committees, and messages of support from celebrities and public figures fill their feed, and will inspire you every day. 

8. @HerCampus

If you’re not following Her Campus on Instagram already, make that your number one priority. Slightly different from the aforementioned accounts, the Her Campus page includes deliciously funny posts and a variety of memes guaranteed to put a smile on your face, but also remind Collegiettes the importance of voting, cultivating the self, being confident, and standing up for personal beliefs. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Rachel Walman

U Mass Amherst

Double major in English and Communications. Commonwealth Honors College Class of 2019.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst