lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Annoying Things New Couples Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Obviously all couples are different. However, there are some things a lot of couples do that can be extremely irritating for your single friends. Here are 8 annoying things new couples do and how to avoid them…

1. Going AWOL

Your friends are happy that you are in a relationship, but being in a relationship doesn’t mean you have to fall off the face of the earth. Your friends need you too. If you spend all your time with your significant other, it can be hard for a friend to swallow. The ultimate test is trying to balance your relationship and friendships. Friends don’t want to be your second choice because first choice isn’t available.   

2. Umbilical cord love

The reason why you haven’t seen your single friends after being recently paired up, is because you’re inseparable from your partner. This kind of relationship makes friends feel awkward and forces them to come up with a strategic plan to enjoy just 5 minutes of one-on-one time without the always-present plus one. Be sure not to spend every hour with your significant other. 

3. Bringing a plus one even when they haven’t been invited

Even when your S.O. isn’t invited you still insist on bringing them. Stop trying to include them in all of your plans…not everyone wants to hang out with you and the new boo. Sometimes friends want to discuss private things or just catch up. Just because you are constantly attached to your partner, doesn’t mean your friends have to be too. It’s okay to let him stay home while you hang out with your friends. 

4. Showing excessive PDA

Yes, we get that you love each other and want to express it, BUT you’re not at home, you’re in public. We don’t need to see you getting freaky while sitting directly in front of you. Stick to holding hands and the occasional (small) kiss. 

5. Letting everyone know how long you have been together

It always seems to be some sort of anniversary and you think that everyone needs to know how long you guys have been together. “Well next week we’re going on 3 months.” This results in another annoying status/post about how you’ve been through so much together. Save it for the bigger dates like the year anniversary. 

6. Giving relationship advice to single people

You may not realize it, but some single people choose not to be in a relationship for a reason. They either haven’t found someone worth their time or have been damaged before and just need some time by themselves. Don’t act like you are suddenly a relationship guru and allow them to have their space. 

7. Matchmaking

Couples always seem to want to set up their single friends based on the assumption that all single people are completely miserable. Your friends do not want to endure a lot of blind dates, so try resisting the urge to set them up unless your friend seems interested. 

8. Sharing too many stories

Telling your friends everything you and significant other do is unnecessary (no one cares what kind of toothpaste you both like). You’re in a relationship…we get it and expect you to do all the things couples do. However, the constant relationship conversation gets pretty annoying when that’s all you want to talk about. Believe it or not, your friends want to talk to about other things besides your significant other. Try limiting your stories and focus on other aspects of your life. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst