This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As college students, it can be extremely easy to slip into unhealthy living and eating habits. Without the proper tools to manage our social lives with our numerous responsibilities, sometimes we find ourselves overwhelmed with feelings of stress and anxiety. These are some of the ways I’ve managed to find more balance and happiness in my life during my freshman year.

1. Drink more water

I was always one that reached for the drinks with the highest sugar content but that all changed after coming to college where suddenly everything cost money…except for water. But, I’ve learned to love it and the immediate benefits I’ve seen in my body. My skin has a healthy glow and my acne has basically subsided. The best part is, it helps to suppress an appetite between meals. I’ve realized that I was never really constantly hungry, my body was craving more water and less Sprite.  

2. Exercise

Even if you have no desire to lose weight, exercising is so important in finding a happy, healthy balance in life. The physical benefits are far more rewarding than dropping a jean size. You’ll feel more energized to complete daily tasks and will have an easier time falling to sleep at night after a hard workout. No matter how much work you have to do, take the time to give your body the attention it deserves.

3. Get out of your comfort zone

In my opinion, a huge component to finding happiness is making yourself uncomfortable. If you spend all your time repeating the same routine you’ve done your whole life…every day is going to seem like a chore. Try a different fitness class, go on a hike, eat an exotic food, wear a new style, listen to different music, and talk to someone who seems to have nothing in common with you. The more you experience, the more opportunities you have to find some happiness in every day.

4. Find your outlet

I try to stay as positive as I can, but let’s face it, we all have bad days. When you start to freak out about the exams, papers, and projects that are piling up, stop and take an hour to do something you love. Whether it’s sweating out the stress, watching an old movie, painting your nails, taking a trip to the mall, just do something to please your soul. The energy renewal you’ll feel afterwards puts you in a more workable mindset to conquer your tasks!

5. Lists

Ah, lists, my favorite things in the world. I cannot stress enough the benefits of writing down all the things that are causing your mind to race in a panicked frenzy. Whether it be to-do lists, important deadlines to remember, things you to buy, etc. It’s so helpful to clear out your mind’s worries onto a piece of paper and extremely rewarding when you can cross out those you’ve managed to accomplish!

6. Surround yourself with positivity

You are the product of the environment you immerse yourself in. Welcome motivating people into your life and be sure your success is not being hindered by those around you. True friends will applaud your accomplishments and find ways to lift you higher. In terms of fitness, I’ve found that being around people who have similar lifestyle goals is a really effective way to make healthy choices. You can share workouts, recipes, and keep each other on track when it comes to your fitness goals.

7. Spend some time with nature

You don’t have to be a tree-hugging-hippie to understand how peaceful a walk through the forest, or by the pond, can be. Sometimes escaping humanity for a few quiet hours is all you need to survive the rest of a busy work week. Get outside!

Images: Header, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst