The 7 Stages of Procrastination: As Told By Jenna Marbles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s the end of the semester. You have labs to complete, research papers to write, and finals to study for. Despite the seemingly insurmountable amount of work, the urge to procrastinate has never been stronger. Here are the all too familiar stages of procrastination, as told by my personal favorite source of distraction, YouTube star Jenna Marbles.

1. Denial

You’re feeling cool as a cucumber. Two weeks is plenty of time to get all of your work done! What could possibly go wrong? 

2. Anger

As the stress builds, you begin to question the purpose of finals. Who decided this was a good idea, anyway? You spend the next few hours complaining about finals on various forms of social media, leaving your work untouched. 

3. Hunger

All that complaining sure worked up an appetite! Before you can even start to think about working, you need some brain food.

4. “Productivity”

You now decide to wash the pile of dirty clothes that’s been sitting in your hamper all week. While your clothes are in the wash, you might as well clean the rest of your room and learn that recipe you’ve been meaning to try. You start making a list of productive activities to give yourself the illusion that you’re no longer procrastinating.

5. Nap Time

You’re exhausted after hours of “productivity.” Surely, a quick nap will leave you feeling well rested and motivated to work. First, however, you need to find the perfect napping position to ensure utmost comfort during this crucial time of rest.

6. Panic

You awake from your slumber to realize that your quick nap was not quick at all. The deadlines that once felt so distant are now menacingly close. How on earth are you supposed to get all this work done in time?

7. Acceptance

At last, you decide that enough is enough. You accept the fact that your work isn’t going to magically disappear, and you realize you won’t feel any better until you actually start doing it. It’s time to wipe your tears, open your books, and finally start working like the boss you are.

Header: 1

Images: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Julia Gordy

U Mass Amherst '19

Julia is a senior at the Isenberg School of Management at University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is pursuing a major in marketing with a strong focus on advertising. Some of her favorite things include photography, filmmaking, and long yoga sessions followed by even longer naps. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @juliagordy!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst