This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

1. She’s not afraid to take fashion risks.

2. She’s eloquent.

But really, have you heard her song “Buzzcut Season”? “I remember when your head caught flame/ It kissed your scalp and caressed your brain/ Well, you laughed baby it’s okay/ it’s buzzcut season anyway.” How cool are those lyrics?

3. She’s not afraid to like popular bands.

4. Her album title is about female heroes – not drugs.

5. She’s an awesome dancer.

6. She’s conscious of the impact of her celebrity. On her Tumblr she wrote:

“there’s a lot of importance placed on physical perfection in this industry, and i wish my favourite stars didn’t look perfect because i think fans (me included) have these feelings of worthlessness, like they’ll never be as pretty/talented/whatever, as a result of this intense photoshop culture and the endless strive for perfection. ts was the first person i thought of, which i regret. she happens to be good looking, but i think she actually uses her other imperfections in an incredibly powerful and relatable way. taylor swift has a very unique vision, which i admire. i think somewhere along the line also there was a misquote where people got the impression i thought writing about love was shameful. i don’t! i just haven’t found a way of doing it which is powerful and innovative, which is why i don’t. 

ps. i am very very new to this whole thing. i will probably never be the kind of role model for my fans that ts is for hers. i admire her very much for this reason. basically, this is an apology for not thinking too hard before i speak. peace.”

7. She’s funny!

Tell us, Collegiettes, do you think Lorde is a good role model?

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Hi, I'm Kelsey! I'm a junior marketing and English major. I love fashion, and hope to work in the industry after I graduate. My hobbies include blogging, reading, and watching near-unhealthy amounts of YouTube beauty and fashion videos.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst