6 Tasty Snacks That Will Actually Make You Feel Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sometimes it feels like all people ever talk about anymore are eating healthy and the newest diet they’re dying to try out. Look, make no mistake — I’m all about maintaining good health, but I’m not willing to sacrifice taste. But no need to fret: there are easy ways to nourish your body with foods that will make you feel good while still satisfying those unrelenting cravings.

1. Whole Wheat Toast with Peanut Butter and Bananas

Perhaps the simplest in the book, this easy breakfast or snack can be crafted in both the dining hall and at home with just three ingredients. Smear one or two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and slice up a banana to sprinkle on top and you’ve got yourself a satisfying snack that will please your taste buds and keep you full until your next meal.

2. Nachos and Salsa

Looking for a dish to share with friends for a party or girls’ night in? Nachos and salsa takes less than 15 minutes. Simply sprinkle shredded cheese over chips (for a healthier alternative try quinoa chips) and bake in the oven at 425° for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with diced tomatoes, beans, meat and avocado. Place salsa in a side dish for dipping and you’re good to go!

3. Yogurt Parfait

We often think of yogurt as a breakfast meal, but it’s really a snack that can be eaten for any meal at all times of the day. My personal favorite is vanilla yogurt with strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries topped with a handful of chocolate chips and a sprinkle of coconut shavings. Want to boost the health benefits? Substitute the vanilla yogurt for plain Greek yogurt and replace the chocolate and coconut with flaxseed, granola, or chia seeds. Creating your own yogurt parfait can be the perfect alternative to satisfying your dessert cravings rather than indulging in high-sugar sweets.

4. Homemade Acai Bowl

If you’ve been on Instagram or VSCO at all lately, you’ve seen these bad boys. Not only do they make the perfect Instagram, but they taste amazing and are composed of healthy ingredients bursting with antioxidants, vitamins, fiber and protein. The best news: you don’t have to pay $12 at a restaurant to get this delicious meal. Follow these simple instructions to make the base and garnish with your choice of nuts, oats, fruit, coconut, chocolate chips, and so much more!

5. DIY Trail Mix

When first entering college, I thought that the best way to avoid the “inevitable” weight gain that everyone warned me about was to keep my room clear of any snacks or food that would tempt me to snack often. I now know that the smartest move is to stock your room with small nutritional but also tasty snacks that can subside your hunger while also providing health benefits. Trail mix is perfect for this. Customize your own mix with a variety of nuts, seeds and dried fruits. Don’t be afraid to add in some sweets like dark chocolate, peanut butter chips or pretzels. Avoiding the fun stuff all together will only make you crave it more, so instead address your sweet tooth head-on and incorporate these foods into your trail mix with moderation.

6. Smoothie

Waking up for early classes is already painful, but doing it on an empty stomach makes it twice as unbearable. Unfortunately, we don’t always have the time or appetite to squeeze in breakfast before those early morning classes. The perfect fix for this: a smoothie. Create any flavor you desire by combining your own mixture of fruits, kale, spinach and yogurt. Maybe even add some protein powder or peanut butter to make sure you’re reaching all your nutrient needs. Not only will you be able to easily drink your breakfast on the go, but it will also give you a refreshing burst of energy to start your long day!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Erica Dougherty

U Mass Amherst '21

Erica is a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is an Operations and Information Management major in the Isenberg School of Management and she enjoys utilizing Her Campus as a creative outlet for her more artistic side. Erica loves spending time with friends, watching movies, and eating ice cream!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst