6 Places on Campus to Study (Besides the Library!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
  1. The Science and Engineering Library – While this area is still technically a library, you won’t find the throngs of people filling W.E.B. DuBois during finals time when the elevator goes to every single floor, because of course someone presses the button for the seventh floor when the sixth and eighth floors are already selected – what else do you expect during finals week? It’s also closer to Worcester, Northeast, North Apartments, and Sylvan for Collegiettes living in that neck of the woods. 

2. Integrated Sciences Building (ISB) – On the top floor, there are rooms with long tables as well as singular desks with chairs around the area with outlets. It’s definitely quieter due to the seriousness of the students in the area – unlike DuBois where silence can never be achieved, especially during finals week even though you’re on the quiet floor. Plus the ISB cafe has Starbucks and you can get your delicious mocha frappuccino fix with a $1.75 bagel with cream cheese unlike the $3 Procrastination Station bagel (Highway robbery! Give me bagel or give me death!). 

3. Morrill – There is a lounge in Morrill where you can sit down and study while also buying/swiping for food, but it’s smaller than other lounges on campus. This is a good compromise if you live in Central and don’t want to walk across the pond. 

4. Marcus – A much larger lounge than Morrill’s as well as a cafe inside (Quad Cafe). Its hours are only until 3, but this is a prime area if you, again, live in Northeast, North, or Sylvan. Also close in proximity to Freedom Cafe, which now during the longer days usually operates until 6pm. Since this cafe is donation-based, you pick the price you pay for your coffee, latte, cappuccino, or tea, and they now sell baked goods! 

5. Thompson – Another area that houses a cafe, and is near the Student Union as well as DuBois in case you’re craving something the cafe might not offer. It is in the middle of campus, unlike the Science and Engineering Library or Marcus, making it a better choice for Swesties and anyone who’s in the middle of campus after class. The downside is that it isn’t close to any specific bus route (then again, neither is DuBois). 

6. Newman Center – Closer to Franklin DC, Isenberg, the Haigis Mall, and North Pleasant street (for more bus route options), this building has an amazing cafeteria in the basement with a good variety of choices for food, but sadly doesn’t take meal plan swipes. However, there is a huge amount of seating, which is prime in case you plan to study with your friends, with a study group, or just want to be in the same vicinity as your friends despite having no classes in common. It’s also near metered parking at the Haigis Mall and the Franklin lot, which are free after 5pm. Helpful for late night study sessions!

Good luck with your studies, Collegiettes!

Kat Kent

U Mass Amherst

Fraternal twin from cape cod, MA. Transfer student who took a while to find her major. Enjoys long walks on the beach holla
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst