This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When it comes to cramming, where does one go to hit the books? It’s Sunday night, your laundry’s done, you’ve eaten dinner, now it’s time to pull out your planners, schedules, and syllabi to plan out your week. Paper due Friday, meeting on Wednesday…. exam on Tuesday?!

Photo by Katie Donegan

We’re past the halfway mark in the semester already. Crazy, right? So when you realize you have a big test coming up this week, where do you go first? You probably have a couple go-to options: the library, your desk, your… bed?!

So before you pack up your stuff and head for your go-to spot at the library, here are a few new places fellow students, RA’s and Peer Advisors recommend to switch up your standard studying routine:

1. Common RoomLocated on the ground/basement level of every dorm, these are great for two reasons: one, for the sake of proximity; two, they are outfitted with a variety of seating options, such as sofas, benches and chairs to choose from. Here you’ll find access to vending machines and bathrooms as well. Some dorm buildings provide a common room lounge on each floor. These can get crowded or boring at times so if you’re up for it, try and stake out a spot in the common room on a different floor or building- you never know what even a small change of pace can do for your creativity!

2. Student Union

Not just for RSO meetings anymore! The Student Union provides plenty of seating and table options on the main and upper levels. This is great for people who don’t mind a little background noise while studying. Another bonus: you’re close to the new Bluewall for when you get hungry, or for when you need a boost of energy, look no further than the People’s Market (ground floor on the side of the building) for the best coffee on campus!

3. Durfee ConservatoryIf you’ve never lived in Central, you may not be familiar with this location. The Durfee Greenhouse is a hidden gem on campus – an oasis of quiet and the perfect place to read through your notes and assigned readings on the benches provided. It is located behind the ISB, near UHS. If you listen close enough you can hear soft music playing around the greenhouse. If you’re someone who loves to be in nature but it’s just too cold to get work done outside, this is the perfect place for you. Open Monday through Friday from 10am-4pm.

Photo by Katie Donegan

4. Studio Arts BuildingWriter’s block? Don’t worry. Head over to the Studio Arts Building and set up at a sofa, table, or desk in the lofty, open upper level. It’s not just a bus stop anymore! If you’re having trouble getting those creative juices flowing, just take a walk through the building at UMass’ own art students’ work to get you inspired.

5. Cafes around campusNot a person who works most comfortable in total silence? Prefer a busy atmosphere of a cafe and the smell of coffee? There are no shortage of cafe spaces on campus to choose from – all outfitted with tables, bathrooms, and most importantly – coffee! Claim a table at Starbucks underneath Hamp or in the Integrated Science Building. Too crowded? Head to the cafe at the ILC, Newman Center, Bluewall, or at the Honors dorm complex (The Roots cafe), that offer similar menus with a bigger selection of seating options.

6. OutsideIn the case that we get another warm stretch of weather this fall, grab your books and a blanket and head outside. Post up on any of the quads in the middle of campus or nearest your dorm. Fresh air can do wonders for those of us tired of hunching over the same library desk cram session after cram session. Soak up the material – and the Vitamin D – while you still have time!

Photo by Katie Donegan

Keep these places in mind as finals approach. You never know you could be stumbling across your next favorite place to study.

Got another great place to study not on this list? Tell us in the comments below!

Article Sources: 1, 2Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Katie Donegan

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst