The 6 Best Makeup Products to Fight Oily Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Has there ever been a day where you felt like your makeup was on point and your outfit on fleek, but then looked in the mirror and realized your face was actually an oil slick? That’s me. All day, every day. I regularly use blotting sheets in class, check my face in my phone’s screen, and reapply powder discreetly. Even though fall is bringing less humid air, we all still have our oily days (hello 95 degree move-in day in September). Here are six of my favorite tried-and-true makeup products that have been my actual savior: 

1. BECCA Cosmetics Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector 

ALL HAIL QUEEN BECCA, GUYS. I’ve never used a better primer than this one, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go without it. This truly stops the oil from seeping through for a solid 6-8 hours, and really, what more can you ask for? 10/10, would recommend. Maybe even 11/10. That’s just how good it is. 

2. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder 

I promise that this powder will never fail you. Once you go Matte, you’ll never go back. I love this powder for some extra coverage or just to conceal that shine. It especially works if you opt for the Transparent shade, as it can stand the test of time on that tough forehead grease, it doesn’t cake up, and it looks light and natural on the skin. 

3. NYX Cosmetics Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray

If you’re like me, dousing yourself in this setting spray to finish off your look is like a refreshing heaven. Besides the light and airy mist it sweeps over you, it also helps keep your look stay matte all day! 

4. Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray 

If you’re feeling frivolous and want to treat yourself a little more, opt for this setting spray! It works just as good as the NYX spray (if not a little better), and will keep you matte to perfection all day and night long. 

5. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Moisturizer

As important as it is to prime, powder, and set your face, it’s also important to start with a solid base. This lotion will leave your face feeling hydrated but not greasy (as it’s oil-free), and contains salicylic acid to help fight acne—an added bonus for us oily-skinned people, as it’s something we tend to struggle with. Sigh. It also smells like grapefruit, which is just another delicious and refreshing bonus.

6. Boscia Black Charcoal Blotting Linens 

Trust me, these blotting papers are worth every pretty penny. There’s nothing worse than catching sight of yourself in a mirror and seeing your carefully-crafted makeup look turning to shreds because of oil peeking through. I highly recommend buying and keeping these blotting sheets in your backpack or purse because they are a life saver! Simply blot at the problem areas and continue to slay that fierce look you worked so hard to achieve. They’re infused with black bamboo charcoal to cleanse pores and keep skin clear without disturbing your makeup. 

For all my oily-skinned ladies and gentlemen out there, you are not alone!

I feel your struggles, I see your struggles, and now I hope I can help you overcome them. These products have held up through heat, stress, and sweat for me, and I hope they can do the same for you! 

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Class of 2019 journalism major at UMass Amherst! Absolutely love makeup, fashion, and everything in between.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst