5 Underrated Shows on Netflix to Binge-Watch After Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Right now, most of us can’t wait for finals to be over so that we can finally relax with some Netflix. If you’re looking for a show to binge-watch once summer starts, and you’ve seen all of top hits (such as Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black), why not check out the overlooked shows? Here are five of my favorite underrated shows that you should start:

1. Once Upon a Time

I’ll admit: at first, a series about fairytales sounded cheesy to me, too. This show, however, adds backstories to characters as the episodes progress, which twists the tales in the craziest ways possible (semi-spoiler: like making good guys into bad guys). The result is a fantasy-drama filled with suspense and unexpected turns in the plot.  Plus, Jennifer Morrison is just amazing.

2. Bates Motel

A prequel to Hitchcock’s Psycho set in modern times, this show follows Norman and Norma Bates after purchasing a motel. It chronicles the progress of Norman’s mental state, as well as his mother’s coping methods. It effectively combines psychological horror with mystery-drama. Knowing how the story ends does take away a little, but there is enough suspense to keep you interested nonetheless.

3. United States of Tara

This is a comedy about Tara Gregson, a wife and mother with dissociative identity disorder– meaning she has several alternate personalities that she transitions into when she is stressed. To make light of a mental disorder might seem distasteful, but in actuality, Tara’s DID is neither portrayed as isolating, nor used by the writers as a lazy way to crack jokes. Toni Collette, the lead actress, gives a strong performance, especially considering the several roles she plays.

4. Better Off Ted

This witty, satirical sitcom is reflective of the times. It centers around Veridian Corporation, which is a large, evil business with greedy managers. Though the titular character starts as an executive who doesn’t question the company’s motives, viewers watch as his perspective slowly starts to change. Ted navigates single fatherhood while having an office crush and an ice queen for a boss, and pokes fun at the money-grubbing big businesses that are so prevalent today.

5. Community

Community follows a group of very different friends at a community college. Every episode is full of pop culture references and parodies of television and movie cliches. The show makes use of stereotypes in a way similar to The Breakfast Club. It’s a relatable show that focuses on friendship, and is stocked with humor and wit.

As if you didn’t have enough reason to get finals over with, now you should get lookin’ for your next binge-watchable series!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst