5 Tips for Surviving College Hook-up Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Welcome to college. The land where chivalry has gone to die, and the days of romantic courtships are a lost art. The dating culture that once existed has now been replaced with the hook-up culture.

This concept definitely has its perks for Collegiettes looking for a guy with no strings attached. The hook up culture, once an idea that was only attractive to men, is now appealing to women. However, these uncharted waters can be dangerous, so we must learn to dominate them. Here are a few tips on how to survive…

1. Know what you’re getting into 

Beware: If you think you get attached easily. Remember, Prince Charming is probably not the guy who only texts you on weekends after 2AM.

Beware: If you’re part of the hook up culture, he probably is too. There could be other girls in the picture.

Beware: Of his reputation. Trust your instincts and trust your friends. If more than one person has heard bad things, you should probably avoid him. 

2. Take charge

If hooking-up is what you want, then go for it. If you see someone you like, go out there and get him. College boys are not always the most observant breed. Don’t wait around for him to talk to you. Be the one to send the first text or make the first move.

3. Be honest

DO: This is not the place to drop hints and hope he gets it. Tell him exactly what you want out of this. Do you want to be exclusive? Do you want to hook-up with other people? Do you want to order wings and watch Netflix together? Tell him. He can’t read your mind.

DON’T: Let him put words in your mouth. Some guys will drop off the face of the planet because they thought that you wanted more than they did. Set the record straight before they run scared.

4. Cut and run

If you don’t hear from him at all, if he’s phasing you out or if he’s always making excuses…get out of there. He’s not worth your time and you could do better.

5. Stay positive

It can be rough out there and you can encounter some real jerks. Keep your head up. Remember that you and your happiness come first. And know that there are plenty more fish in the sea.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hey all! I'm a sophomore here at UMass Amherst. I'm an English major and Education minor, and I'm psyched to be a part of Her Campus!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst