This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s not lie to ourselves, we would rather hit the snooze button on our alarm clocks and spend a few more hours in bed instead of walking to class in the cold, fall weather. Transitioning back into our school routine might take a little time and adjustment. Balancing class and everything else going on in your busy life might seem overwhelming at times and may lead to you slacking off in school. So, to help you out a bit, here are some simple tips you can follow for academic success this fall semester!

1) Using an agenda to write down all of your assignments or even social plans will help keep you organized and prepared for class. It might be useful to look over your class syllabus and mark down important dates for when your essays are due, what readings you have to complete, and when your homework assignments are due. An agenda will help you stay on top of assignments so you will always know how to manage your time and what needs to get done first. Another great reason for using an agenda… they come in all sorts of colors, sizes, and patterns so you can find the perfect one just for you!

2) Flashcards might just be the oldest trick in the book and always proves to be useful! If you need to memorize vocabulary terms, information about a person or place, or just general information to study for your test, using flashcards is the way to go. Not only can you test yourself with flashcards, they are perfect if you’re studying with someone else too! It makes studying a bit more fun, which is usually a struggle to do and might even help you memorize information faster.

3) Finding the right study spot to fit your needs is a must! It might be sitting in your bed, going to the library, somewhere in SOM, or just anywhere on campus you feel focused and relaxed. Sometimes being in a different setting might help you be more productive. We have such a huge campus and several buildings to study in; you don’t always have to study in the library in order to get your work done. Next time you have that paper to write, try exploring campus for your new study spot. Who knows, it might even become your go-to study spot!

4) Go to office hours, it really does prove to be beneficial in the long run. Whether it’s meeting with your professor to clarify any concerns you had, or meeting with your TA to help you out with homework, going to office hours is a great way to have a better understanding of what you’re learning, which means a better grade! It’s always positive to have a relationship with your professor or TA and can even be beneficial long after you take that course. You never know if you might need a recommendation letter one day.

5) A good night’s rest is crucial for academic success. Although, you have to find a balance of how much you’re sleeping for a happy medium. Too much sleep can leave you overtired and unproductive. Too little sleep could leave you unproductive and unfocused. Around eight hours of sleep is recommended and will leave you recharged for the day, focused, and productive! Just remember, you can’t start a car if the gas tank is empty.

Let’s face it; we all want to do well in college, that’s pretty much why we’re here anyway, right? Getting back into your studying routine doesn’t always have to be so difficult or stressful. Maybe next time you’re stuck studying you can try out a few of these helpful and easy tips. It’s worth a shot and nothing is more satisfying than seeing your hard work and long hours studying pay off with academic success.

Happy studying, collegiettes!

Elana Jacobson

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst