This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Slam poetry isn’t talked about or celebrated by mainstream society, but the subjects and phrasing that these poets use to express themselves with is powerful. I felt myself brushing aside the idea of slam poetry before I watched these videos. However, I was surprised to find these artists have a kind of honesty that is baffling and inspiring. I think as an audience we can learn from these well spoken poets and I hope you’re just as pleasantly surprised by these artists as I was.

1. Blythe Baird’s “Girl Code 101”

One of my favorite lines in this piece is: “This is not female privilege. This is survival of the prettiest.” All of Blythe Baird ‘s expressions are so bold and mature that it is easy to forget how young she is. Blythe represents the frustrations of living in a society with so many subtle pressures and expectations in a way that is brave and captivating.

2. Jesse Parent’s “To The Boys Who One Day Might Date My Daughter”

My favorite part about Jesse Parent is how he is simultaneously intimidating and caring in this poem. In keeping with that duality, his piece warms the hearts of daughters while voicing the concerns of fathers everywhere. Speaking as a daughter, I found it hard not to say ‘aww’ when he says: “I have been teaching her love all her life and all I ask is that you continue the lesson.”

3. Rudy Francisco’s “A Lot Like You”

I know what you’re thinking: This going to be cheesy. This is going to be an echo of cliche love poems I’ve read a hundred times over. I expected that too, but Rudy Franciso surprised me and I’m sure he will surprise you too (even if you’re not a hopeless romantic). Throughout his piece he expresses his feelings with mesmerizing metaphors like: “But I imagine the woman who pins my last name to hers will butterfly down the aisle like a 5 foot promise. The woman I plan to marry will have champagne in her walk and I will get drunk on her footsteps.”

4. Samantha Peterson’s “Dead Men Can’t Catcall”

Samantha Peterson’s poem is a captivatingly personal collection of her experiences with compliments as a larger woman. She is so captivating that it’s hard to watch this poem without feeling something yourself. I challenge you not to react when she says monumental things like: “Desirability is a clever thief, it steals you away from your body. Cast subject as object if it means I am wanted.”

5. Sarah Kay’s “If I should have a daughter…”

This performance was actually recommended to me by a friend and is a classic in my book. Sarah Kay is a seasoned slam poet who has been writing since she was a wide eyed teenager and now passes on the lessons she has learned to teens as a teacher. Her advice for her daughter that, “I’ll have chocolate and rain boots ready because chocolate will fix any heartbreak and rain will wash away everything if you let it” will stick with me for years to come and I hope you find endearing bits in this to hold onto too. 

What do you think Collegiettes? I hope you enjoy slam poetry more after viewing these! 

Elizabeth Lundin

U Mass Amherst

Liz is just your typical Massachusetts girl who shamelessly loves riding her bike and Netflix. She's one of three as a triplet(two brothers complete the ensemble).Shes working on her major in Psychology at U mass.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst