5 Quick and Easy Vegan Meals for Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being a vegan in college is a challenge in and of itself. With limited vegan options at the dining halls, the chances of finding something you like are narrow. Luckily, there are many quick and easy vegan meals that you can make right in your dorm room.

1. Avocado Toast

This meal is completely vegan and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The recipe can be found here, and all you will need is a slice of toast and a freshly sliced avocado. Layer the avocado on the toast, and for extra flavoring you can add sea salt or cracked pepper. This easy vegan-friendly bite takes less than five minutes to prepare — for under $10!

2. Vegan Pizza

One meal that I missed the most when I became vegan was pizza. However, with many dairy-free alternatives you can make your own mini vegan pizza! I found this recipe here.

You will need vegan beef crumbles that you can find at most grocery stores, a jar of pizza sauce, one bag of mini bagels halved and toasted, and a cup of vegan mozzarella cheese. First, you will need to microwave the vegan beef crumbles for 2-3 minutes. Next, stir in the pizza sauce with the beef crumbles. Then, scoop a spoonful onto the mini bagels. Finally, top it off with vegan mozzarella cheese and microwave for one minute or until the cheese is melted. These ingredients can be found at any local Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods Market. This meal takes five minutes and will give you that pizza fix for the day!

3. Homemade Blueberry and Vanilla Oatmeal

This is a quick and easy breakfast that you can take on the go to class! This recipe can be found here. You will need one-half cup of rolled oats, fresh blueberries, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and one cup of water. You can put the blueberries, oats, and vanilla extract in a mason jar and add the water. Then you microwave for about two minutes and you’re all set! This is great for the days that you’re running late for class and don’t have time to stop at the dining halls!

4. White Bean Salad

This is a great gluten-free and vegan option for lunch. I found this recipe here, and all you will need is one and a half cups of cooked white beans, a half cup of diced cucumber, a quarter cup of diced red bell pepper, and two tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley. Mix all of these ingredients together in a bowl and you can eat it just like that, or you can put it in a sandwich or wrap. This meal can be made in less than five minutes!

5. Vegetarian Burrito Bowls

This is a great vegan meal for lunch or dinner. This recipe can be found here. You will need one cup of cooked brown rice, a half cup of drained and rinsed black beans, two-three tablespoons of salsa, one tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt and one tablespoon of vegan shredded cheddar. First you will need to combine rice, black beans, yogurt, salsa and vegan cheese in a bowl and microwave for 30-60 seconds. Then you can combine it with anything you would like, such as chips, tomato or avocado. This healthy meal will take you less than five minutes and minimal effort.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Images: 1,  2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Angela is a freshman and a writer for Her Campus Umass Amherst. She is majoring in Legal Studies and enjoys movies, music, and spending time with friends and family.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst