This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For many, the start of fall is their favorite time of year: scarves, pumpkin lattes, and apple picking. But for summer girls like me, the cooler the temperature gets, the sadder I become. Going from summer to fall, I can’t help but think of these problems.  

1. Having to wear pants

Who actually likes pants? They’re restricting, uncomfortable, and a pain to put on compared to shorts. While I know many will fight me by saying, “but leggings are more comfortable.” I would have to argue that athletic shorts are far superior.

2. That awkward transition period where it’s not hot, but not cold either 

In the morning, you’re freezing, gripping onto your hot coffee as your only source of warmth, and wishing you wore your North Face. But by noon, you’re sweating bullets and fanning yourself in lecture. 

3. Watching your tan fade away

This one may be the toughest. It took you months to get that perfect summer glow, but it only takes a couple of weeks to lose it. While you can cake on all the self-tanner and bronzer you want, we all know it’s not the same.

4. Having separation anxiety from the beach

For many, the beach a happy place where they can just go to escape. Whether you go with a big group of friends and bring some drinks and music, or by yourself and finally finish that book you’ve had for a while, no day is wasted at the beach. 

5. Ice cream just isn’t the same

Can you get ice cream in the fall and winter? Yes.

However, you’re lying if you think it tastes just as good as it does on a 90 degree day. Also, most ice cream places shut down during the harsh days of winter, leaving you to get store brand ice cream (which we all know doesn’t hold a flame to the local homemade ice cream shop).   

Now we sit tight and wait for next summer!

GIFS [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Lauren McLellan

U Mass Amherst

Hello! I'm a senior at UMass Amherst. I am an economics major and I love hockey, the beach, and Sex and the City!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst