This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s official: Lush cosmetics has made its way into my heart. Not only do I love how Lush products feel on my skin — I’m also impressed with the brand’s regard for the environment and its test subjects. Not only that, Lush prides itself on its healthy, vegetarian ingredients (derived mainly from fresh fruits, vegetables, essential oils and safe synthetics), its recycled and “naked” packaging and its campaign to fight animal testing. Above all, it believes in fresh, organic and honest ingredients — and I’m hooked. You probably know about its bath bombs already, so here are some lesser-known but equally noteworthy Lush products you’ve got to test out:

Angels on Bare Skin is a face and body cleanser that gently exfoliates the skin. Ground sweet almond, kaolin clay, lavender, chamomile and rose oils blend together to create this super fresh-smelling product. Lavender tones and balances the skin while the scrubby almonds rejuvenate and remove dead skin cells to brighten up your complexion. I have used this product for years and it remains a staple in my skincare regimen. I recommend using it along with your daily gentle cleanser every 1-2 days for best results.

For those with sensitive faces, it might be best to keep this product to your body only, because the abrasive almond pieces could be too harsh. Regardless, it’s always a good idea to patch test new products before implementing them into your routine. 

Mask of Magnaminty is one of Lush’s all-time best-selling products. This face mask is the most effective product I’ve ever used on my face. Mask of Mag is composed of kaolin to purify clogged pores, honey for combating bad facial bacteria, peppermint oil for the soothing signature fragrance and refreshing the face, and ground aduki beans and evening primrose seeds for exfoliation. These ingredients work wonders on a temperamental complexion. I use this product once a week after a 10-minute facial steam to soften my pores. I look forward to Mask of Mag time every week. 

Whenever I buy myself Ocean Salt, I use it right up. This is the perfect body scrub for when your skin needs a quick pick-me-up. Pure sea salt is wrapped in soft avocado and coconut oil for the most hydrating exfoliation you’ll ever get. I find it most luxurious on dull winter skin, but it works just as well in the summer. As a precaution, I like to moisturize right after showering to lock in the moisture and soothe any roughed-up skin. 

Celestial is the absolute best facial moisturizer for dry, sensitive skin. It smells like a cupcake and feels like icing. The vanilla water and almond milk give this lotion its heavenly scent, paired with cocoa butter and dove orchid extract for conditioning and hydration. Celestial is thick and super moisturizing, so I would not recommend this product to oily-prone gals or to those who prefer a thin layer of moisturizer. It works best as a night cream, but I personally use it morning and night for sustained hydration throughout the day. 

While browsing Lush’s store (which, if you haven’t already, get on it!) most customers aren’t too commonly drawn to the foot care section. I was given the Volcano foot mask as a present along with other Lush products and I highly recommend it to anyone who needs to give their feet some TLC. Volcano is unlike any other foot care product that I’ve tried: it gives a weird, refreshing, cleansing, rejuvenating sensation with effective results. Once you lather a scoop onto your bare feet, it will start to dry and your feet will change temperature, fluctuating between hot and cold for as long as you leave the mask on. My tip? Wrap your feet in plastic bags or saran wrap to keep from making a mess. When it’s rinsed off, your feet will feel brand new. Trust me, it’s something you never knew you needed until you try it. Fresh papaya, tomato, potatoes and cinnamon leaf oil purify the skin and deodorize while kaolin clay and pumice exfoliate the layers of dead skin.

So treat yourself and give Lush a try — I promise you won’t regret it!

Images 1, 2

Molly Sullivan

Providence '20

Molly is a Political Science/American Studies double major from Saratoga Springs, New York. Molly loves photography, the Red Sox, and being on the water.  "You miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst