5 Life Lessons I’ve Learned from Parks and Recreation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Parks and Recreation is one of the finest TV series that has ever aired. Leslie Knope is the perfect leader and shows us that we, too, can lead a town. 

1. Treat Yo Self

“Fine leather goods. Treat yo self.” Tom Haverford and Donna taught me that you can celebrate whenever you feel like it’s necessary. Whether it’s finishing a paper or completing a 10 question online quiz on Moodle, it’s the best reason to treat yo self.

2. Make a Difference

Leslie Knope reminds me to keep trying to make a difference. In most episodes, she’s trying to change part of Pawnee and to make people’s lives better.

3. Work Hard

Leslie Knope is the perfect role model. She reminds us to keep going when we don’t think we can go anymore. She never gave up when running for City Council and did anything and everything to get elected.

4. If You Feel like Giving Up, Eat Waffles.

If you’re not eating waffles, you’re missing out. We all know the best place to get waffles is JJ’s Diner. It’s crucial to remember the important things in life.

5. Remember your friends.

“You know my code. Hoes before bros. Ovaries before brovaries. Uteruses before duderuses.” Leslie and Anne Perkins always put each other first. When Leslie got married to Ben, she always put in the time to be with her friends (including April).

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chloe Trepanier

U Mass Amherst

Chloe is a Her Campus National Social Media Intern and a senior Communication major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is the Social Media Director for Facebook for the UMass chapter and is the Chairperson of the UMass Theatre Guild. Her hobbies include watching 30 Rock and eating ice cream. You can follow her on Twitter and on Instagram. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst