This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sick of hearing about everyone rave on about kale when you just hate it, or seeing your favorite celebrities shamelessly plug protein powder and detox tea on Instagram day after day? Yeah, us too. Skip out on all that, and take a look at some new health food trends that might make 2017 your healthiest year yet.

KOMBUCHA

Tomorrow morning you may want to skip your post-gym smoothie and pick up a bottle of Kombucha. If you’re wondering what the hell Kombucha is, it’s the latest healthy drink trend – and it’s alcoholic! Okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Kombucha has about an eighth of the alcoholic percentage of a single beer, so you’re not getting drunk off a bottle any time soon (unless you’re really dedicated to chugging an insane amount of Kombucha). Kombucha was invented about 2000 years ago by the Chinese. It’s created by fermenting black tea and sugar. The probiotic beverage linked to weight loss, increased energy, detoxification, immune support, reduced joint pain, cancer prevention, and improved digestion. Though bottles can be pricey, usually averaging four dollars, the long list of health benefits balances out the dent in your wallet. While you might think the first sip tastes a bit funky, with time you will be months into your Kombucha journey.

JACKFRUIT

Another trend with Asian roots is the jackfruit. The fruit is noted to have a texture that is very reminiscent of pulled pork when it’s cooked. If you’re a vegan who’s missing that kind of meaty consistency in your meals, this may be the perfect substitute. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, carbohydrates, electrolytes, and fiber. It is lacking a bit in the protein department compared to other meat alternatives like tofu, however. If you are using this as an alternative to meat, make sure you add in another source of protein to complete your meal. This antioxidant has a low fat content, of just about 0.64 grams, so it’s perfect for boosting energy without worrying about intaking too many calories.

ALKALINE WATER

You can’t go wrong with drinking water, but if you want to step up your water-drinking game, you should consider testing out alkaline water. Alkaline water may be a hit or miss, because some people say it’s just a hoax, but others swear by it. Alkaline water had been said to be less acidic than simply getting water from your sink. Its supporters stand by it due to it being more efficient in detoxifying and boosting metabolism. If you’re interested in testing it out, make sure to check the pH level of your alkaline water before you buy it. It’s not recommended to drink alkaline water with a pH higher than 11 because it may promote irritation. For comparison, neutral water has a pH level of 7.

GOLDEN LATTES

This isn’t your average cup of joe…or a cup of joe at all, actually. A golden latte’s ingredient list is made up of turmeric, coconut oil, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, honey and unsweetened plant-based milk. People are all about anti-inflammatory diets in 2017, and turmeric is noted to have over two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds. Golden lattes can give your body a range of health benefits, from reducing cholesterol to being great for skin. But as many of us know, our mental health is just as important as our physical health, and golden lattes can aid to that too. Curcumin is a compound that is produced from Turmeric. The Government Medical College in Indias presented research that found the curcumin in this drink can fight depression, without the potentially dangerous side effects of a lot of other anti-depressive drugs.

SUBSCRIPTION FOOD SERVICES

Grocery shopping can become difficult for anyone who’s trying to diet, but can’t pass up a good deal on buy one get one free macaroni and cheese boxes. If you fall victim to impulse buying of soda, chips, and pizza bagels at the grocery store, maybe the move for you is to try skipping out on in person shopping as much as possible. Getting a healthy subscription meal service sent to your doorstep can help you avoid making those not so healthy purchases, along with the guarantee of having a healthy meal that’s already been meal-prepped so you have no excuse to not eat it. It’s really that easy. With a quick Google search, you can find tons of websites catering to subscription meals and find the perfect fit for you. Some popular ones include hellofresh.com and plated.com. If you’re looking for something that may be a little cheaper, or with more leeway to make your own favorite recipes, consider signing up for a local farm share. Along with getting fresh produce delivered weekly, you can feel great about helping out local farms!

Images: 1 2 3 4 5

Sources: 1 2 3 4 5

Jill Webb

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst