5 Fun and Festive Margaritas To Try This Cinco De Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With Cinco De Mayo today, what better than to try some new and exciting flavored margaritas. Whether you like fruity drinks, beer, wine or a guilt free low-calorie drink there will be a margarita that’s perfect for you! Here’s a few recipes to give your holiday a kick start:

Beer Margaritas

For all of the beer lovers out there, a beer margarita is the perfect Cinco De Mayo cocktail. With some beer, tequila, and frozen lime concentrate this cocktail can easily be made.

Recipe
  • 4 12 oz. bottles cold light-flavored beer
  • 1 cup (8 oz.) tequila
  • 1 12 oz. can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
  • lime wedges
  • kosher salt, for rimming glasses

Combine the beer, tequila and limeade in a pitcher, salt the rim of your glass, and enjoy! 

Garden Variety Margarita

The Garden Variety Margarita is the perfect cheat drink for those that are on a cleanse during Cinco De Mayo. The ingredients consist of ginger-kale juice, lime juice, agave nectar and tequila.

Recipe
  • 1/2 oz. ginger kale juice
  • 2 oz. blanco tequila
  • 1 oz. lime juice
  • ¾ oz. agave nectar
  • salt, for rimming the glass

Shake up ice, ginger-kale juice, tequila, lime juice and agave nectar in a shaker cup.

White Wine Margaritas

Wine is always a good idea, what better than a wine margarita on Cinco De Mayo?! With Chardonnay, frozen limeade concentrate, orange juice, limes and oranges this cocktail can be whipped up easily.

Recipe 
  • 1/2 cup Chardonnay
  • 6 oz. Frozen Limeade Concentrate
  • 1/2 cup Orange Juice
  • 3 cups ice
  • limes wedges
  • orange slices

Blend the wine, limeade and orange juice together and add ice to preference.  

Once everything is blended, pour drink and garnish with a slice of orange and lime!

Spicy Margarita

With all of the spicy dishes that come along with Cinco De Mayo, this Spicy Margarita is the perfect match.  With only three ingredients, jalapeño tequila, fresh lime juice, agave nectar, this drink will be yours to try!

Recipe 
  • 2 oz. Tanteo Jalapeño Tequila
  • 1 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
  • ¾ oz. Agave Nectar

Combine all ingredients along with ice and shake. Pour over ice and garnish with a jalapeno slice!

Strawberry Basil Margarita

A fresh and fruity margarita is perfect for the warm weather. Limeade concentrate, strawberries, tequila, and basil leaves will certainly quench your thirst on Cinco De Mayo.

Recipe
  • 1 can frozen limeade concentrate
  • 10 large strawberries
  • 8 basil leaves
  • 2 to 2 1/2 cups tequila (gold or silver)
  • 2 1/4 cups of water

Simply combine limeade, water and tequila in a pitcher.

Cut strawberries into thin slices and crumble basil, add to pitcher, leave in fridge over night.

Recipe Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst