This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Halloween is a great time for self-expression, creativity, and perhaps most importantly—parties. Finding the best costume to make you shine can be tricky, but this year, have no fear! Get ready take it to the next level (and not offend anyone in the process, please) by trying out one of these feminist icon costumes!

1. Rosie the Riveter 

Maybe you won’t be the most original with this costume, but you will definitely still be slaying. Rosie the Riveter is an iconic yet easy costume you can rock—her outfit comprises things you can easily pull out of your own closet, and her red lipstick is a look you can achieve with some simple NYX gloss. 

2. Hermione Granger

Let your inner Potterhead take flight with this one! If I hadn’t already bought a costume (for upwards of $50, which I now regret), I would be all over this one. Hermione is a strong, sassy, and witty feminist icon that is sure to be recognizable with her puffy hair and Gryffindor colors. If you’re lucky, maybe you can convince some friends to tag along as Harry and Ron.

3. Katniss Everdeen

Katniss is another badass fictional character that can be easily pulled off with clothes from your own closet! Innovative, strong, and achievable on a budget. What more could you ask for? Have a friend french braid your hair and grab your bow and arrow—this is a look to die for. 

4. Beyoncé

BOW DOWN, EVERYONE. Perhaps one of the most influential feminist figures of our current time, Queen Bey will be hands down one of the best costumes seen at any party. You could base your costume on an array of outfits: Beyoncé at an award show, in a music video, during a concert… There’s no limit, and you’re bound to be complimented on your look. Round up your ladies, make those costumes, and get in formation! 

5. Wonder Woman

This might be considered a cliché costume as it is a Halloween classic, but who cares? Wonder Woman has been inspiring women for decades, and that isn’t stopping anytime soon. Rep that red, white, and blue proudly while simultaneously showing off some girl power.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Class of 2019 journalism major at UMass Amherst! Absolutely love makeup, fashion, and everything in between.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst